Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:54 AM
On my Windows XP Computer, a few days ago I was watching a flash video and my computer froze. When it froze, it started to make a beep noise (no delays, just one uninterrupted beep). Since then I've had a variety of issues. They include:
1. I'd restart the computer, use it for a little bit, then a slow freeze would occur while browsing. For example, I'd be using Firefox, I'd try to load a new page, and it would freeze up while I still was able to control my mouse. However, I wouldn't be able to click or open up anything. This would force me to restart.
I would also get a freeze where I'd open up a program and it would appear in the bar but it wouldn't have a border around it. It would never load and I've have to restart.
Some of the things I've tried so far:
1. Turned off the computer and ran a fan next to it for a few hours. When I started it back up again, it froze a little while later.
2. Open up the case and vaccumed out most of the dust. Didn't really help much.
3. Installed a Spyware detector. Nothing found.
4. Ran a Registry cleaner. This did find a decent amount of problems (mostly path not found, etc.) but it still froze after I repaired them all.
5. Uninstalled a bunch of old programs, stopped a lot of unused services, and disabled a lot of processes at startup. Still freezing, though.
Anybody have any ideas what might be happening? So many things can cause freezing that it's tough to diagnose this.