Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad mother board

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 59coop

59coop

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:12 AM

I have a HP slimline (s3100n) and recently found a major problem. I went to get on the internet and it was telling me that I did not have the hardware for internet connection, it came with wireless lan. After looking around on the computer I noticed I could not find any of my media card readers and nothing was showing up on the usb ports when plugged into them. So I think my mother board has bit the big one. My question is, since it is a HP computer, do I have to buy a mobo from them or can I replace it with one as long as it is the same model?
Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:11 PM

You can use a motherboard from the same model.

Be advised that changing the motherboard in a laptop is a tad more complicated then a desktop.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,123 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

The slimline computers are very difficult to find motherboards for (there not laptops) due to the case size. You can buy one from HP for about 300 bucks or you can try and find one on E-bay. Your best bet would be to buy a new motherboard that supports your processor and get a new case and power supply. This is the cheapest fix and will cost less then 100 bucks depending on the motherboard and case choices. If its a Pentium 4 you choices on motherboards are limited to the Biostar P4M900-M4 I have that very motherboard in my machine it works great. You will however have to get new DDR2 memory but prices are very reasonable. This should breathe new life into your P4. If its not a P4 there allot more options out there.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users