Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exchange Message Tracking

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:09 AM

Some emails are not being delivered to a mailboxe here. We are using Win SBS 2003 and exchange 2003.

I check our spam filter(Websense) and find that the message was accepted no problem. So i go to exchange system manager to see if theres a problem there. I navigate my way to tools > message tracking center and enter the search criteria and find the message i'm looking for.

It says that an NDR has being generated but doesn't give a reason why i can only assume the message is too large.
When i right click and select properties the size says 51044311 which i assume is bytes. So the message is roughly 51MB.

Is there a way to find out why the message wasn't delivered i went to the log file but can't read it as there's too much info in there. I can't find which piece of data is the event ID in there.

What i'm looking for is an error code like 5.1.1 or something so i can determine what the error was.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:46 PM

Hi, the email is to large for the exchange defaults. You can change it (I would not) http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Set-Si...s-Messages.html
Why not set up ftp on SBS a lot better solution.
MCP
MSDST

#3 MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:05 AM

No intention of changing the size limit. I set up a Web Dav site and they uploaded, thanks.

Is there anyway in future i can see why the message wasn't delivered. Stating that a NDR was generated isn't very informative from microsoft.

Thanks

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:50 PM

You can have a copy of all NDR's sent to your address which will give you the reason for Non-delivery.

Open System Manager. Click the plus next to Administrative Groups, the plus next to your group, the plus next to servers, then the plus next to your server name.

You should see "Queues, First Storage Group, and Protocols". Click the plus next to protocols then the plus next to SMTP. Right click on Default SMTP Virtual Server and click on properties. Click the messages tab. You will see "Send copy of Non-Delivery Report to:". Put your e-mail address in that box.

If and or when an NDR is generated, you will get a copy of it. It will then give you the reason for the NDR.

Hope this helps,

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users