Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avast removal

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 AlanBeast

AlanBeast

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

Somehow I have Avast!Antivirus on my computer, which I don't want. I downloaded the removal tool awsclear.exe, ran it in safe mode, and rebooted. It said to browse for the location of the program, but it did not find it. After running the tool in safe mode it said it got rid of the program but Norton still gives me a message that it is still present.
I searched for Avast, and it was found in C:\Windows\system32. But when I tried to delete it I received a message that I could not remove it.
How else can I remove Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:32 PM

welcom to this forum :thumbsup:

Are you suggesting that you have an infection on the computer

OR that you have somehow managed to install the Avast 4 Home antivirus program whilst you also have Norton antivirus on the computer?
If so, from what source did you get the Avast 4 home program...was if from here>>>>
Avast4 Home Antivirus program

MY intrigue is that the computer should have reacted to and allerted you to the Avast 4 Home download and installation if you already have an installed antivirus program :flowers:

Can you please explain?

#3 AlanBeast

AlanBeast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:45 AM

No, I did not install it, it just popped up, appears it is an infection. I am afraid to go to the Avast website, usually when you go to a site like that it will supposedly give you a way to delete the program but it only adds more spyware on your computer.

#4 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:22 AM

Could you please post the complete name of the program/file you have found.

The antivirus program authored by Alwil Software is not titled AvastAntivirus..........you may have an infection with something masquerading as Avast

The genuine program would be styled Avast4 Home or similar depending on the version.

#5 snowdrop

snowdrop

• Members
  • 513 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:49 PM

I suggest we need to see a bit more of what might be going on here so could you please run a scan for us?

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (v1.38)

http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
and save it to your Desktop.

alternate download link 1
http://malwarebytes.gt500.org/mbam-setup.exe

alternate download link 2

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Malwarebytes_Ant...ware_d5756.html

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.

On the Scanner tab:
Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
Then click on the Scan button.
If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.

Back at the main Scanner screen:
Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
Please copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

lets see that report :thumbsup:

Meanwhile I will ask the Mods to move this to the AII section

oddly, at present I cannot find much useful info ON an infection called Avastantivirus but that does NOT say it does not exist!!

Lets see your scan result and go from there?

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

Probably the Avast was corrupted. And as you don't want to have two AV's try to reinstall it then run http://icifiles.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear.exe
You are keeping Norton on here ?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users