Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

vista uses to much memory

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 polarpimp

polarpimp

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:52 AM

does anyone knw y my pc uses a lot of memory per day?. and i dont even save anything

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KarlH

KarlH

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:50 AM

How much memory is too much memory? Do you have 1GB or 2GB?
I recommend you go through Run > MSCONFIG and click on the Startup tab. From there, you can disable unneeded programs from running at startup, hence not using memory and processing power.
HP Laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic.
Just sold my best computer ever: MacBook witth Apple Mac OS X Leopard (same about the wireless issues).

#3 dysfunkt

dysfunkt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:26 PM

Google for a good guide on disabling services. You can safely disable a lot of them. For example, if you aren't on a network you can disable Workstation, Server, Windows Time, ect.

#4 polarpimp

polarpimp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

How much memory is too much memory? Do you have 1GB or 2GB?
I recommend you go through Run > MSCONFIG and click on the Startup tab. From there, you can disable unneeded programs from running at startup, hence not using memory and processing power.

um it uses around a a gig a day and i dont save anything?

#5 KarlH

KarlH

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:18 PM

At this moment I am running at 967 MB. I have AntiVirus / Firewall in background and Windows Live Messenger running, oh, and Firefox.
Windows Vista does use a lot more RAM than XP

Have a read through this article I find very interesting:
http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2163

Special Note to:

Modern operating systems automatically load commonly used DLLs and programs into memory, so when decide to load an application you use frequently, it pops up faster. To make this happen, since Microsoft Windows 95, there has been a function called Prefetch which monitors user activity and preloads those application extensions into system memory.

In Microsoft Windows Vista it is called SuperFetch, and it reserves about 33-50% of system memory for this purpose. Essentially Windows Vista looks at how the computer user accesses application and data, and keeps the most often used applications and tasks loaded into cache memory. This makes loading applications quicker and is supposed to offer users a smoother ride. It does not take system memory away from the OS or applications, if memory demand his high SuperFetch will automatically adjust its size.

We're just trying to clear the common misconception that Microsoft Windows Vista is poor at memory management. Windows Vista seems to consume a lot of memory because its SuperFetch feature grabs memory for itself upon startup.

(PCStats.com)

Edited by KarlH, 07 July 2009 - 03:31 PM.

Just sold my best computer ever: MacBook witth Apple Mac OS X Leopard (same about the wireless issues).

#6 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:31 PM

i think polarpimp is talking about storage. and Karlh is talking about RAM. :huh:

is this the case??
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#7 KarlH

KarlH

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

i think polarpimp is talking about storage. and Karlh is talking about RAM. :huh:

is this the case??

Sorry, I assume when people talk about memory they are meaning RAM.
Still, it's a good article. :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users