Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

why would a laptop be killing batteries?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 therockdog

therockdog

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

i have a Dell D610 laptop that is eating batteries up can anyone tell me what would cause this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:50 AM

Most Dell laptops burn through batteries. Mine does, my boss' does, and the battery reviews say they don't last long either.

Running the laptop plugged in while the battery is in, and storing a battery more than 50-75% (I forget which) drains its life span as well. My primary battery is at 40% health because of running it plugged in.

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

Are the batteries going dead ?
How long will one run the unit before it dies ?

If you look in the Control Panel>Power Options it should have power saving options when running off if the battery.
Make sure they are enabled.

I don't know if this applies to your model but I have read you shouldn't repeatedly recharge a partially dead battery because it sets it to only last as long as it was used.

Try fully discharging the battery & then recharging it.

Also google how to reset a laptop battery to see if you can find better information.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 therockdog

therockdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:26 AM

Thanks i will look into both of those. i have put three new batties in and with in a month they are dead.

#5 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

Thanks i will look into both of those. i have put three new batties in and with in a month they are dead.

mabye the charger is damaging them sum how
battrys dont die that fast

#6 therockdog

therockdog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:38 AM

mabye the charger is damaging them sum how
battrys dont die that fast

i hear that! that is why i am here asking everyone. i have been repairing Dell pc's for the past four years and have never come across this issue before. thanks for all of ya'll's input.

Edited by therockdog, 07 July 2009 - 11:39 AM.

#7 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:07 PM

Are you using real Dell batteries or offbrand cheapo's ?
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users