Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gmer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:51 AM

Hi Everyone,

I have seen that often times Gmer finds rootkits when Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware did not, so I am thinking that I might want to run it some day as long as it won't cause any problems.

Can anyone tell me if Gmer removes found problems automatically?

If it does not, then I am thinking it would be safe to run it without expert supervision as long as the log was checked out by an expert before having it remove anything, is that correct?

Also, would anyone be so kind as to tell me what the symptoms of having a rootkit on a system would be?

Thank you everyone :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PropagandaPanda

PropagandaPanda

• Malware Response Team
  • 10,433 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:30 AM

Hello Stang.

Can anyone tell me if Gmer removes found problems automatically?

GMER will not remove anything unless you direct it.

Rootkit scans will occasionally produce false positives, so I don't suggest that you remove any items found without checking it over with someone.

Also, would anyone be so kind as to tell me what the symptoms of having a rootkit on a system would be?

There are many types of infections that use rookit components. It's very possible that you will have no symptoms.

The TDSS rookit that is going around currently will produce redirected Google results and block security programs from running.

With Regards,
The Panda

#3 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:53 PM

Thank you very much Panda