Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

computer starting to act up again

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wako944_*

Guest_wako944_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:36 AM

Ever since I first bought my computer (last summer), it has always had its fair share of problems. The most major of them being that it locks up sometimes when I run a video game or something hardware straining like watching a movie.

When I first got the computer, the first thing I did was play Crysis. Unfortunately, the game froze and my computer locked up within mere seconds. Trying to restart the computer and running the game again produced the same results.
Here are some of the details of when my computer freezes:

-Computer screen just stays on the same image. If I turn the screen off and back on, it's pitch black
-Tried CTRL-ALT-DEL, nothing happens.
-Pressed NumLock to see if the keyboard was responding, doesn't flicker the light signal.
-If i have headphones or speakers plugged in, it repeats the same audio segment over and over again (right before my computer crashes)

Now, my computer is by no means crappy...
Specs:
-evga 9800gx2
-790i ultra
-2.67GHz quad core
-Patriot 4GB DDR3 Ram
-Running Vista 64-bit ultimate

So obviously, the next step I took was to send the computer back to its manufacturer (NCIX) in Vancouver, BC, Canada. (I live in Montreal, Quebec). Apparently, they fixed the problem and when I got the computer back, it worked fine... For the first few days. After, the problem started arising again but at a less intense rate. My computer would only freeze SOMETIMES when I played games and because of this, I simply shrugged the problem off. It was just a minor hindrance and all I had to do was to restart my computer to continue my work/gaming. But, as time goes by, the problem is getting worse and worse and I'm lost as to what to do.

If you suggest I send the computer back to the company, I don't exactly plan to do that, considering what I had to go through: Had to pay for the shipping, took them two months to get the the computer back to me, didn't even fix the problem.

So my last hope is you guys at bleepingcomputer.com :trumpet:

Here are some additional details:

-When NCIX sent the computer back to me, they reportedly said it was a memory voltage problem. They said that they fixed the problem by changing the memory voltage (how the heck do you do that? :flowers: ). They said they tried swapping video cards to see if it was the video cards fault but the problem persisted even after the change.

-Looking at Performance under Windows Task Manager:

Physical Memory (MB)
Total: 4093
Cached: 2880
Free: 27

with just MOZILLA and SKYPE open! :thumbsup: Is that just me or is vista really that much of a resource hog????

-Running a game such as Call of Duty 4 will make a warning Pop up quite often stating "Windows is running low on memory". Running a game with firefox open is just suicide (even on the lowest settings), my computer would probably explode... This is just absurd considering my old computer (pentium 4 3.2ghz, 6800gt, 2 gigs of DDR2 ram, windows XP), which is completely outclassed in terms of hardware, can run both call of duty 4 and firefox, msn, all simultaneously on medium settings with a decent framerate.

If any of you guys could help, I would appreciate it greatly.

Edited by wako944, 07 July 2009 - 04:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:28 AM

The memory voltage setting is changed in the BIOS.
[I had to set mine for my memory]

What anti-virus program do you have ?
Do you have a "security suite" or a adware/maleware program that does "real time" scanning ?
[Something that constantly scans each page for malware]

Since you have Vista, which is a resources hog, I suggest stopping everything that doesn't need to be running all the time [stuff that doesn't need to start with Windows].
Thaty should fee up some resources.

A pretty through list of Vista how to's ,

http://www.howtogeek.com/tag/windows-vista/
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Guest_wako944_*

Guest_wako944_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:08 PM

Okay, so yeah. The manufacturer of my memory suggested that the memory voltage be at 1.7V (which it is at). But the problem still persists? Also, if I play around with my memory's voltage, will it be damaged in any sort of way (given I do small adjustments of 0.5V)?

The anti-virus program I use is avast. Also, I'm not running a significant amount of programs at startup. Just MSN, Network Magic, Logitech SetPoint (for my mouse) and avast. That's pretty much it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users