Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Song names dont match

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:30 AM

I know this is the windows vista forum, I posted this in Windows 7 forum with no response

I have just started using Windows 7, which has the Windows Media Center.

I have music that I download from the file sharing program 360 Share. Now when I download a song, sometimes the file name is not what I want it to be. I correct it, to read the Artist Name with the Song title.

Now when I lookup my music in WMC, I just get the original song titles. Example, I downloaded Michael Jacksons "Bad", the file name is something like "1980's Hits -Bad". I change it to "Michael Jackson - Bad".

How do I change so that the WMC will read what I change the file name to? Leaving the original names throws off the order of the way I want my music as well .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:14 AM

If renaming it did not work, try right clicking on the file, choose Properties then click on Summary & then Advanced & click on the right of the title and rename it there. Make any other changes you want & Apply > OK your way out.

#3 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:59 AM

hello derek

if hillbillys suggestion dont work. try this (works for me) open wmp right click on file. choose advanced tag editor. change the title name there.

fwiw i choose to leave ALL album titles blank. if not you end up with alot of different album entries by the same artist. (you may want different albums.)

one other thing. if there is 1 misspelled letter (in advanced tag editor,artist info tab) you will get 2 artists... ie three doors down or 3 doors down.

hope this helps. :huh:
Have A Great Day

...........Kenny.............

#4 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

Also too add,

is there any major diffrence between using Windows Media Player vs Windows Media Center?

hillbill and kenny, could you walk me thourgh what you explanined? i seem to be a bit lost on trying to find what you are describing.

Edited by Derek Ellis, 07 July 2009 - 10:04 AM.

#5 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:56 AM

hello again

there is a big difference between wmp & wmc the biggest difference is i dont know anything about wmc besides playing a dvd in it!!

if you open wmp. right click on michael jackson bad. choose advanced tag editor. under the "title" type in any name you want to name it. and thats what wmp will recognise.

if you have 2 or 10 michael jackson songs and somebody misspelled miechael jackson you will now have two different artists hence the way to change that is under the artist info tag. in advanced tag editor. :huh:

hope you understand that its easy to do kinda hard to explain. (i tried to take some screenshots but upload was to big) sorry
Have A Great Day

#6 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:57 PM

Ok, i do have pretty sharp comptuer skills, but i am totally lost here.

Could you still provide the screen shots? Anyone have somen weblinks?

I am mainly using Window Media Center to play my music (when i want to play multiple songs), if i just play a single song i use the Window Media Player, since it comes up by default.

I have nagivated both (WMC and WMP) and i just cannot seem to find the menus, etc. on how to change off of this.

I am running Windows 7 RC.

#7 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

that explains it.. when i was trying to find instructions on the web erlier. everybody was complaining that ms took advanced tag editor off of wmp12...
vista uses wmp11. (this is a vista forum) sorry about miscommunication.
Have A Great Day

#8 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

So windows 7 using WMP 12?

I came over to the Vista forum because i never got a response when posting in the Windows 7 forum.

since i knew that Windows Vista has Windows Media Center as well, i thought it might be a shot.

#9 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:49 PM

sorry. if you just google "advanced tag editor" you will see what im talking about.
you MAY be able to install wmp11?
Have A Great Day

#10 Derek Ellis

Derek Ellis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:10 PM

hey kenny thanks for your suggestions

I did a google serach, and i found a app called Mp3tag. Its a tag editor

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/

I set to to find my music, and it does what i want it to do. For years, i have never been able to change the tags. So i have just always been organizing them by file name. I have hundreds of songs, so i am going to spend some time and editing all of the tags, with the proper names, albums, year, etc. Now i can finally use WMP and navigate around it. Before i juse used it to Play music only, not really to organized and sort.

Thank you for your help!

#11 keny111111

keny111111

• Members
  • 406 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:17 AM

hey derek

very glad to hear something worked out for you!!! :huh:
Have A Great Day