Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Problems...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RideTheLightning728

RideTheLightning728

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:05 AM

Hey all!

I am currently trying to fix my friend's iomega 1TB external hard drive, but I am running into some problems. First off, the main problem is basically that it won't be picked up by the computer...well, sort of.

I plug it in to the computer, plug it into the wall, the light turns on, and nothing. It is making a weird clicking noise, which made me think it was totally dead. But then, for some strange reason, it randomly picked it up and started installing the drivers after about 10 minutes of it sitting. Strangely though, the light on the front of the drive had turned off. But, it's not in My Computer. It is in Device Manager, however, but it still does nothing when I try to update drivers.

I've heard that it might not be getting enough power and won't pick up, and that's what's causing the clicking, but I don't know. :huh:

I'm pretty sure that it's dead, but does anyone have any advise? My friend's counting on me!

Thanks! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:00 AM

Remove it from the enclosure...try attaching it directly to the motherboard.

Louis

#3 RideTheLightning728

RideTheLightning728
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:42 PM

Well, I'm kinda using a laptop, so that's pretty much outta the question.

Any other ideas?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,738 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

You don't know anyone with a desktop?

The test (is it recognized/readable) only takes a few seconds.

The problem (that I see) with a hard drive in an enclosure...potential points of failure have increased (external PS, drive, enclosure) for drive access/functionality.

Louis

#5 KarlH

KarlH

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:01 AM

I had the same problem with one of my enclosures (cheap one). Just changed the enclosure and it worked.
However, I bought the drive and enclosure separately, so before you start disassembling the enclosure, double-check the drive is not in warranty because you may be able to exchange it.

Enter your serial number here.
HP Laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic.
Just sold my best computer ever: MacBook witth Apple Mac OS X Leopard (same about the wireless issues).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users