Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:20 PM
Ready for a head-scratcher?
After installing UxStyle (allows XP users to use 3rd-party themes) my laptop shows the BIOS screen but no longer boots Windows. I just get the BSOD. To make things worse, when I tried to reinstall Windows as a last resort it hangs on the "Setup is Starting Windows" screen. I even tried booting into a Ubuntu LiveCD. It loads the Linux kernel but then just shows a blinking cursor in the upper left-hand corner and is unresponsive. Here's what I've done so far to save my laptop and the results:
* Ran HD test in BIOS - both the short and long test report "PASSED"
* Swapped out the HD for another that I know works - same problem
* Removed both internal and external memory modules individually and swapped the two around - same problem
* Ran Memtest - "No Errors"
* Swapped out optical drive - same problem
* Removed AC adapter and battery, held down power button for 2 mins - same problem
* Reset CMOS by removing internal battery for 15 mins - same problem
* Tried Windows reinstall using every HAL configuration available on my system - still hangs
* Disassembled case and blew out dust - you guessed it, same problem
I'm assuming that it's a hardware problem since it hangs at the same point in the boot process. I guess I'm shocked that a seemingly harmless Windows patch could cause a hardware failure like this.
I'm utterly baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.