Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

openchrome not enabled with VIA K8M800

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dpenndorf

dpenndorf

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:28 PM

Hi, I recently installed Ubuntu 9.04 - first linux install. I can't get my display to do any better than 800x600, even though it has many higher resolution options with Windows XP.

I've spent many hours trying to properly install openchrome driver, with no success. I have not found any known bugs to keeping Jaunty from installing this driver. 3d rendering has bugs, sure, but I'm not trying to do anything fancy - just have a normal resolution.

As you can see, my video card is detected (I have the K8M800 chipset):
dp@dp:~$ lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. K8M800/K8N800/K8N800A [S3 UniChrome Pro] (rev 01)

But I can't for the darn life of me do anything to get the details properly into my xorg.conf.

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
--------------------------------------------------------------

Any clear instructions (remember: first time with linux!) to follow? Thanks for any help!
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpenndorf

dpenndorf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 12:55 AM

Finally got resolution. Need to edit xorg.cong to have following:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync 30-70
VertRefresh 50-150
EndSection

Edited by dpenndorf, 12 November 2009 - 12:56 AM.

#3 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 06:29 AM

should find out what video card you got

and then find out if theirs a driver for it

#4 bisquit maker

bisquit maker

• Banned
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 PM

Posted 12 November 2009 - 10:43 AM

The word is "there's," starcraftmaster. "Theirs" is a reference to possession and not that act of existing.
You need the specifications of the machine to see what graphics card you have. There are both proprietary and free drivers,
which are available. You just set the refresh rates and nothing more.
And again, as I ask others on here, "Why didn't you go to linuxquestions or ubuntuforums to ask this question or to search for the answer?"
HTtp://www.google.com/linux <--Look for the answers here. Put the search query in the box, add or remove boolean terms, and hit enter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users