Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

INVALID BOOT INI HELP

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 LauraMarie

LauraMarie

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

I get this message while trying to boot my laptop. I've read on forums that you can just replace it using the start menu or msconfig. The problem is my laptop keeps restarting itself. It never even takes me to the log on page. What do I do? Does this require making a boot cd? if it does can you explain in simple steps.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:39 PM

Microsoft article with all details about your problem : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330184

You will need bootable Windows XP CD.

If you do not have Windows XP CD, you can download RC.ISO and burn it on a CD using ImgBurn or your faorite CD writer software (like Nero).
XP RecoveryConsole ISO image : http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso
ImgBurn : http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

If your laptop came with some kind of Recovery CD, you can use that to return the laptop back to factory settings.

EDIT: Added link to ImgBurn

Edited by Romeo29, 06 July 2009 - 11:47 PM.

#3 LauraMarie

LauraMarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:09 PM

I downloaded the ISO file but which iption do I use for burning

here what it looks like:
http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/2951/kljf.png

I made a data dvd using nero but that din't work on my laptop. I also downloaded the IMGburner like you suggested though

#4 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:21 PM

Put a blank CD-R disc in your CD-writer and then run ImgBurn

In ImgBurn:
1. Choose Write Image File to Disk thats the first option.
2. In next screen, select File > Browse for a source file in the File menu
3. Now click on the image that looks like coverting an image into CD, on the lower side of the ImgBurn. When you hover your mouse over this image you would see "Write".

How to burn ISO image to CD : http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=61

You can read this tutorial that explains how to burn an ISO image : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/write-a-cd-dvd-image-or-iso/. This explains for ImgBurn and Nero too.

I am sorry, I did not explain it earlier. Just use a simple CD-R or CD-RW for burning, its only 8MB.

Edited by Romeo29, 08 July 2009 - 04:23 PM.

#5 LauraMarie

LauraMarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:44 PM

Okay, I got the cd to start and I did exactly as the tutorial stated but when I typed in bootcfg /list I got this message, "There are currently noboot entries available to display." so I skipped it and typed in the next comman bootcfg /rebuild.

It was scanning all disks for windows installations but then I got this message "Failed to succesfully scan disks for windows installations. The error may be caused by a corrupt file in your system. Use chkdsk to detect any errors"

I typed in chkdsk and scan for errors
and I got "chkdsk found one or more errors on the volume"
do I still need the boot cd or boot ini file?

Edited by LauraMarie, 08 July 2009 - 04:53 PM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

You probably ought to run the chkdsk /r command (with space between the k and the /), rather than just chkdsk.

Depending on where it runs from...it just reads and does not repair any errors. From what you posted, this may be the case.

Louis

#7 LauraMarie

LauraMarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:45 PM

I'm actually doing that right now I google it because I'm impatient. I think I'm supposed to do a chkdsk /p after chkdsk /r

I'm just wondering if that is going to fix it oris there something else I need to do

#8 LauraMarie

LauraMarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

Okay, I did the procedure I mentioned above and I'm using wii internet right now but I after the rpocedure ended it said it had fixed one or more errors so I went anddid the bootcfg /rebuild again and I get the same error message "This operation must complete sucesfully in order for the /add or /rebuild commands to be utilized". Where do I go from here?

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

Oh heck, try this:

Make sure you are in the C:\ folder since that is where boot.ini is supposed to be.

attrib -H -R -S C:\boot.ini

del C:\Boot.ini

bootcfg /rebuild

Try that and report any error messages.

If a problem still, see what:

bootcfg /add

has to say.

Edited by joseibarra, 08 July 2009 - 07:37 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#10 LauraMarie

LauraMarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

I don't understand what you mean by attrib -H -R -S C:\boot.ini?
How do I get to the c:folder if I cant log on

I'm at the place where it says
C:windows>

I'm supposed to type in a command

Edited by LauraMarie, 08 July 2009 - 09:33 PM.

#11 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:49 PM

Since bootcfg /list reports no boot entries, it means boot.ini does not exist or has no data.
You do not have to delete boot.ini even if it exists, bootcfg /rebuild should create new file/delete old one, by itself.

After you do chkdsk /r on all hard disk partitions, then do a bootcfg/ scan followed by bootcfg /rebuild.

If you have two partitions c: and d: on your hard disk, then it would look like:
chkdsk c: /r
chkdsk d: /r
bootcfg /scan
bootcfg /rebuild

You do not have to do chkdsk /p

#12 LauraMarie

LauraMarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:15 PM

I am actually trying to fix two computers with the same issue. I'm done with both scans on my 2nd computer and laptop. After doing chkdsk and then chkdsk /r on my laptop, I got this message,"failedto succesfully scan disks for windows installations. This error may be caused by a corrupt file system, which would prevent any bootcfg from succesfully scanning". Use chkdsk to detect any disk errors (I've done this like 10 times already)
But, I wasn't sure if my laptop had windows home edition (there is no sticker). Maybe its running on windows xp professional. I can't tell though. So maybe I used the wrong boot disk and thats what is causing it right?

On my second computer, everything you said is working out fine so far. I am about to do the bootcfg rebuild.

#13 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 12:32 AM

You can also try to execute fixboot before bootcfg /rebuild and see what happens.

If bootcfg is not able to find Windows installations, then it means hard disk filesystem is damaged and you may have to re-install Windows.

There is another workaround, if you can remove and attach the hard disk to another working computer as slave drive. When you turn on the computer, you can access this had disk in My Computer. Then you can create boot.ini manually to the hard disk with the following contents:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

Or just copy it from the working computer's hard disk.

If you have never opened and installed had disks before, then stay away from this workaround as you may end up damaging your computer hardware.

#14 LauraMarie

LauraMarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:56 AM

I don't understand any of what you just said. I don't even know how I would find where to paste that in.

I think I'm just going to give up. I did exactly as you said and I could never get to the log on screen. I've been at this for 2 days now. I even tried a fixmbr then spent another hour redoing chkdsk /r. I did each process leike 5 times because I thought I had messed up at each step. Both computers failed to get to the log on screen. I called my brother to ask him what he downloaded and he said he tried to download or upgrade to windows vista although I told him not to download anything several times. I officially give up....sorry to waste your time

Edited by LauraMarie, 09 July 2009 - 01:59 AM.

#15 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,019 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:18 AM

If you are in the C:\WINDOWS folder that is good, but the boot.ini file is in the C:\ folder.

To get into C:\ enter (with the space):

cd \

Now you should be in C:\

For a directory listing, enter:

dir

You should see some files and boot.ini should be there, but maybe not.

The boot.ini is a hidden, read only, system file in C:\ and you can see the SHR attributes listed from the dir command.

Use attrib to remove (with the minus sign) the SHR attributes so boot.ini is just a regular file by entering:

attrib -S -H -R C:\boot.ini (or: attrib -S -H -R boot.ini)

Delete the boot.ini file if it exists:

del C:\Boot.ini (or: del boot.ini)

See if bootcfg can find your Windows installations on your hard disk by entering:

bootcfg /scan (this should find at least one Windows installation)

Rebuild the boot.ini file by entering:

bootcfg /rebuild

Follow the prompts that look something like this:

Total Identified Windows Installs: 1

[1] C:\Windows
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):
Enter Load Identifier: (Custom description for an operating system loading from the Boot menu)
Enter Operating System Load Options: (that is: /fastdetect)

Now see if the boot.ini file is there, and appropriate by entering:

dir boot.ini (do you see boot.ini in the list?)

followed by:

bootcfg /list (do you see your Windows installation?)

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users