Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ridding myself of this evil.....

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 C*stag

C*stag

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:40 PM

I currently have something wrong with my PC. MalwareBytes, Spybot, and adAware have all been run, AVG-Free has scanned and NOTHING has been found. However I still know there is a problem because for the first 15-20 minutes after I start my PC anything I click on, be it one click or a double click, responds as if I clicked hundreds of times.

SO, basically, I think I am in need of a better anti-virus, because I am not at all happy with this (I already posted a HiJack this log in the right area), but once I get my problem fixed, which anti-virus should I switch to? I found a trojan not that long ago scanning with Panda, I am rarely not the one using my PC, my husband used it briefly and this is when the problems started, so I need something that even he would have a hard time making my PC sick. SO....please tell me your picks...and if you want to get all technical...that's cool too, I like to know how things work!! Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:29 PM

Hi again,

I have just answered your log thread here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/239269/hijack-this-report-cant-seem-to-get-rid-of-something/

As mentioned there, when a log is posted in the malware removal forums, additional topics like this are closed to prevent confusion and other problems. I will contact a moderator to do so--this thread can be reopened when your malware case is resolved--but I want to answer your question as best as I can.

I would not get rid of AVG because of the problems that you state. For one thing you may not actually be infected by malware but have a more mundane computer problem. Also, I have looked at the Panda and other logs you posted in November. One file Panda found was just a warning--note it was flagged as "suspicious"--and is known to be a legitimate HP file. The other is most likely a false positive and the others are just tracking cookies. It does not make sense to get rid of AVG because it did not show you false detections that worry you needlessly--in fact that would be a reason to keep it. And you are going to get tracking cookies anytime you run a scan if you have done any surfing at all.

I am not very fond of AVG, but it is not because of its detection rate. Even the best antivirus will fail to detect some threats. In today's landscape there are way too many threats out there for detection rates to be 100%. Every AV out there is going to miss some that others pick up, and, conversely, will pick up some that the others miss. In fact, a few years ago, installing AVG was the easiest fix for a certain type of malware--other AV's wouldn't touch it.

There is very little difference in detection rates among the major AV's. If you switch, do it because of feature sets and support and which causes the fewest problems with performance and other such factors and preferences. My favorite now is Antivir but it is not for everyone. It does have a high rate of false positives, so if you don't know what false positives are you shouldn't use it. I like it because it is more configurable and lighter on resources than most other freeware.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:03 PM

I'll close it. :flowers:

:thumbsup: Papakid.

@ C*stag. You're in good hands with Papakid.

~ OB
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users