Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop icons hijacked by MS Word

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SatoD

SatoD

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:38 PM

I have a laptop running Vista. Recently, all the icons on my desktop and quicklaunch bar have turned into MS Word icons. All the affected icons are shortcuts or folders as opposed to actual data files.
Attached File  image001.jpg   77.42KB   22 downloads

Double clicking on any of these icons opens up a file conversion tool within Word; wordicon.exe.
Attached File  image002.jpg   49.74KB   17 downloads

If I go to the start button and launch my programs and open my files, all seems to be normal. Outlook/Exchange is fine. All my files and documents are there. I've run my virus checker and spyware software; neither detect any problems.

Anyone have any ideas about this? What's caused this and how do I fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dysfunkt

dysfunkt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:30 PM

Check your file associations. Maybe Words got associated with shortcuts?

#3 SatoD

SatoD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:49 PM

I know how to change file associations for data files; for instance, changing a .jpg to default to Photoshop instead of Windows picture viewer... But I don't see how to change the file-type association of a shortcut.

#4 KarlH

KarlH

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:39 AM

Is the problem just with your desktop and quick launch?
Make a new shortcut and does the Word icon appear?
HP Laptop with Windows Vista Home Basic.
Just sold my best computer ever: MacBook witth Apple Mac OS X Leopard (same about the wireless issues).

#5 SatoD

SatoD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:44 PM

Any new folder/file created on the desktop will have a Word icon. If I create a folder/file somewhere other than the desktop it comes out normal, but if I create a shortcut to it, it changes to a Word icon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users