Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GPU Dieing ?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BioCartridge

BioCartridge

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:47 PM

Hey guys i was playing some DOD Source when this first happen i was playing looked away. then looked back and the game wasn't minized computer frozen with all these red lines all over it. :/ dont know what could be wrong the one thing i could think of is the GPU is dieing on me. The computer will also lock up on me alot hmnmm..

Things i have tryed.
Runing programs to fix the problem
Installed drivers-up to date
booted in safe mode works perfectly.

what happens
Computer will beep after loggin in to window(didn't do it before) ITs a short beep.

Once everything is loaded it will start these little red and blue lies. havn't seen any green ones, but for start up.

Games wont play.. they fragmate

It will also flash fastly. often

Some basic Stats
EVGA 680i at motherboard
EVGA 8800gtx 768mb gpu
e6600 intel cpu
2 gigs ram

Here are some Pics hosted by image Shack.

http://img31.imageshack.us/i/1010514.jpg/
http://img36.imageshack.us/i/1010523.jpg/
http://img193.imageshack.us/i/1010520h.jpg/
http://img27.imageshack.us/i/1010526.jpg/
Thanks!

UPDATE: Will no longer start up.. past xp black load screen goes to soild wavy lines and Blue screen of death flashes. Will boot up in safe mode.

Edited by BioCartridge, 06 July 2009 - 08:09 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:21 PM

What you are describing is called "artifacting"
It is usually caused from either a video card overheating because the fan has failed or the memory on the video card is failing.

Open the case
Turn the computer on
Watch the fan on the video card to see if it's working right.
If the fan is spinning nice & fast or it doesn't have a fan on the video card the memory on the video card is more then likely failing

If it has a fan that isn't working right you need to remove the video card & inspect the capacitors on it to see if any are domed or leaking from heat damage.
If all have nice flat tops & no sign of leakage you might save the video card by replacing the fan.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 BioCartridge

BioCartridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:27 PM

The temps and fan speed are fine.. The GPU stays at 55'c which seems cool to me. isn't 80's high"

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:32 PM

The only way to determine if it is the video card for sure is either try a different one in the unit or tey the video card in a different unit.

If the fan/temp is normal it sounds like the video card memory is failing.

You could try completely uninstall the drivers & everything for the video card, reseating it in the slot. & reinstalling the drivers.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 BioCartridge

BioCartridge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:51 AM

Voltage is good, same for temp. uninstalled drivers installed new. same problem.. so i guess its pos now?

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, once the memory on one starts going bad it doesn't get any better !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users