Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't play sound files

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ZOMB13

ZOMB13

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

I was playing PJ64 yesterday and it frose when I tried to exit (I was loading/reloading textures), so I unplugged my computer, turned it back on and no sound would play on anything!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

My computer is a HP a Pavilion a 720 n

As you can see in the pics, , it says I have no audio device and the little speaker icon on the bottom right won't show up.
My speakers work as I have them plugged into my Zune for music right now.
I downloaded my drivers from HP, but still nothing.
Any help?
I already did system restore (to the day I got it) but still nothing and I saw some tips on other topics here, but nothing.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:00 PM

Try running chkdsk /r (should automatically be done by user after any hard shutdown) then remove the current drivers for audio and install either the ones from the CD or drivers downloaded from the appropriate website.

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:41 PM

You downloaded drivers, but did you install them :thumbsup:

Right click My Computer, Properties, Hardware, Device Manager.

Expand (click the + sign) Sound, video and game controllers and you will see the available devices.

Anything with a X or ? next to it is usually a device with no driver.

Right click the afflicted device and choose Update Driver, or go through Properties to view what might be there and you can do an update that way. If you choose Update and Advanced, you can point to the folder where the downloaded drivers are and install them.

It is usually better to install downloaded manufacturer drivers than trying to let Windows find one for you from Windows Update.

How did you do a System Restore back to the day you got your computer? That would be a lot of Restore Points for me and actually quite impossible since they don't accumulate forever (usually)! I think I only have a couple weeks worth. If your are not automatically happening every day or so, you may have another thing to look at (that has nothing to do with this driver thing).

Edited by joseibarra, 06 July 2009 - 09:42 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 ZOMB13

ZOMB13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:56 AM

This is what I get when I do chkdsk
Posted Image
It says it is being used by another program but nothing can be heard on anything.

Posted Image
I did install the drivers, no exclamation mark on anything.

I meant that I restored my computer to factory preset (as in the day I got it)

Whenever I try to play something, I hear a beep from my desktop and this message
Posted Image

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:22 AM

The chkdsk message makes sense - and you should respond in the affirmative.

You can run chkdsk with no options with XP running, but if you tell it to do any error checking/correcting that has to be done on a reboot. The action just flags the drive as needing a chkdsk (makes it "dirty") and that will be picked up on the next reboot.

I found this post in some other forums about your last screen shot message after some Googling - maybe it will fix you or some other ideas will come up.

There is mention of being sure the Windows Audio service being started and checking the BIOS to be sure audio is enabled. Obvious, but worth verifying.

http://forums.techarena.in/windows-xp-support/44823.htm

Then, look for the "We got it fixed" part in post #7. A little convoluted, but I followed it to the very last step.

The plug and play software emulator was missing. It was impact not only my sound but several other devices as well. Fixed it by searching for machine.inf then copy to temp directory. remove at about line 20 beneath [Control Flags]the words
"ExcludeFromSelect=* "

go to control panel, add new hardware, next (let it seach), yes hardware
is connected, next, scroll to bottom, add new hardware device, next,
install from list, next, select system devices, next, select have disk,
point to amended copy of machine.inf in temp directory, scroll to "plug
and play software device enumerator" in right hand column, next and
complete install. Thats it. In seconds you should be fixed!

Fixed in seconds (maybe).

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 ZOMB13

ZOMB13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:35 PM

Sound was working until windows installed a new update, then this happened.

New error :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Now computer is VERY slow, no volume control.
I left a machine.inf in the temp folder and one in the system folder, is that right?

Edited by ZOMB13, 08 July 2009 - 04:16 AM.

#7 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:05 AM

So you had sound working after the machine.inf thing and sound quit working after you installed some update?

Please try to give some more details as you progress.

Forget the .inf file in the temp folder for now.

You chose to show hidden devices?

Now you have your onboard Realtek audio device where it was totally missing before - progress!

The yellow bangs (exclaimation points) in Device Manger indicate a hardware conflict and they are all MS kernel things, not something you installed. I do not have all the ones you do, but I am not a big audio person.

We want to uninstall the afflicted built in devices by first disabling (not uninstall) your Realtek device, right click each of the banged devices and uninstall them. They are built in, so when you reboot, Windows should rediscover them and if not, in Device Manager, scan for hardware changes. Then enable your Realtek device see how things look - reboot if needed to be sure things are clean.

You may have to try a few things with the enabling/disabling/rebooting, but the goal for now is to get rid of the yellow bangs.

And... make sure the Windows Audio service is running/set to Automatic (obvious but worth verifying).

Edited by joseibarra, 08 July 2009 - 06:29 PM.

#8 ZOMB13

ZOMB13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

Windows Audio service is on auto.

The exclamation marks keep coming back, I did system restore to right before the sound stopped working, but that did not work.

What can I do?

Sound WAS working half a day ago.

#9 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:41 AM

Somehow we must get rid of that stuff.

Be sure I understand the timeline.

You had no sound, Sound and Audio through Control Panel didn't look right and your first post did not show the Realtek device. This makes sense - no device, no sound.

You manipulated your machine.ini file and rebooted. Now the Realtek device is there but the other errors are also there.

Did you have sound at that point?

You applied some update (do you recall what update?)

Do applying the update break the sound?

The Realtek device is built in to the motherboard, so Realtek says to first look at the MB manufacturer home page for drivers. Are you able to download and install them?

What does your Sound and Audio through Control Panel look like now, are there any clues/errors, etc. (like code 39).

If this is not right, I am still suspecting Realtek drivers.

I will look some more - it is most challenging not "being there", so you have to be the detective here!

#10 ZOMB13

ZOMB13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:00 AM

Thank you so much for your help man, I went back to step 1 and re-did everything, and sound is back, I don't know what happened, but I just re-did everything and it worked.

Thanks!

#11 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:39 AM

Good job! :thumbsup:

Sometimes it helps to start back at the beginning.

One good part is, we all know a lot more now than before!

#12 ZOMB13

ZOMB13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:50 AM

Grr
Ok, this was fixed, but now its back after a restart, I do not know what is causing it, any help?
It still keeps saying this
Posted Image

#13 ZOMB13

ZOMB13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:28 AM

Any help anyone?

#14 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:30 AM

I thought you were done!

Unfortunately, I do not have, have never seen and can't reproduce your problem - even by trying. If I did have that problem on my system (any yellow bangs), it would drive me batty.

The best I can do is use popular search engines and look for similar things where sometimes there is a happy ending and sometimes not (short of a reinstall).

Here is something else to read - towards the bottom, June 28, 2009.

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/t1207748506

You can read the whole post - there are other ideas, but the one guy seems to have found the holy grail.

The referenced link inside is broken, but the steps are there and I followed them to the point of actually doing something and stopped :thumbsup: The link to the missing post is quite popular in many forums, but this one has instructions from the missing post - unfortunate.

If you make changes, write down the before values so you can go back if needed.

How did I find this? By doing a Google search for:

microsoft kernel acoustic echo canceller yellow

You can try this stuff, read some of the other search results, change the search a bit... I think it would be more productive if you did the searching instead of me doing it, posting results, you trying it, etc. You have also tried some of the things.

Do not interpret this as me giving up. I am just trying to reduce the cycle time.

I really think there must be a single answer, and it is probably just one thing to fix them all since they are all built in Microsoft things.

#15 ZOMB13

ZOMB13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 01:52 PM

Thanks, I started doing that, I have searched for somethings.

Also, the items with the exclamations marks have doubled, meaning, now there is 4 of each Microsoft kernels.
:thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users