Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Periodic brief freezes every few seconds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 karx11erx

karx11erx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:00 PM

I am having a weird freezing problem on a nicely equipped desktop computer with Intel C2D 8500, mobo GA-EP45 DS3, 4 GB RAM, 2x500 GB Seagate S-ATA2 HD (32 MB cache each, the kind that had this "sudden death" problem, firmware updated though), ATI HD 4870 gfx (Catalyst 9.6), Creative X-Fi soundcard (latest drivers as of writing this), WinXP home SP3, CD-ROM, DVD R/W. System is rather new (< 6 months). I have already uninstalled my Virus scanner (NAV) to find the culprit, killed all system processes I know are expendable, run rootkit checkers, unplugged most USB devices, and I still have these goddam brief freezes every two seconds or so. Drive fragmentation is not an issue either. When I watch TV on my machine (built-in Terratec HD TV card), the display briefly stutters and sound gets muted or into a high pitched squeal for a split of a second. Looks like the entire system gets occupied by some process for a brief moment every few seconds (interval seems to be slightly irregular).

I also remember having been able to watch TV flawlessly on my machine just a few weeks ago, but I cannot tell where and why and how everything got screwed up. I also have a cordless mouse which was stuttering from the minute I installed it and its drivers although the receiver is really close to the mouse.

I can hear my HD(s) being accessed all the time when my system should be idling. Process Explorer (Task Manager replacement) doesn't show anything unusual though. Checking with HijackThis didn't reveal anything suspicious either, nor does the system log. My system is behind a Fritz DSL router (built-in hardware firewall).

Similar setup at work: No problems.

I am a software developer and by no means a computer novice, but I cannot find out what's going on here.

Edited by karx11erx, 06 July 2009 - 07:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 karx11erx

karx11erx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:23 AM

Disabling the swap file didn't help. chkdsk didn't reveal any problems. I have unplugged all USB devices except mouse and keyboard: Didn't help. Uninstalled cordless mouse drivers and installed a cable mouse: Didn't help.

Maybe an IRQ conflict?

Edited by karx11erx, 07 July 2009 - 03:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users