Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PLEASE HELP BOOT DISK ERROR MSG

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dante318

Dante318

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:28 PM

Hey all, I have a Compaq Presario SR1650 running Windows XP Media Center Edition that is getting a boot disk error. It is basically all stock except for a NVIDIA 8500GT video card and an additional GB of RAM. The issue started when I installed a program that would monitor the computer temps. I noticed the video card was running at a 103C. I knew that was way too hot so I shut down the computer, popped open the case and realized the fan on the video card was not working...after fooling around with it and not able to get it working..I decided to go back to my onboard video, so i took out the video card (which was the only thing I touched) and turned the computer on, and it would not boot up at all...The fans would come on, and run at a high rate constantly, but nothing showed up on the screen. I did some research and had to take out some battery from the motherboard and wait...still nothing. After having the power unplugged for about 15 minutes I decided to try again and got the disk boot error I turned the computer off and back on, and it came back to giving me nothing on my screen. It did this constantly and then I waited again and got the disk boot error message again. I went into the BIOS and realized my HDD group priority says it's not installed, not sure if that is the issue. It seems to go between nothing showing up on the screen at all with the fans running high or a disk boot error screen. This whole issue started over a graphics card that was overheating, but it could have been that way for weeks, I'm not sure..

Any tips or suggestions would greatly be appreciated

Edited by Dante318, 06 July 2009 - 08:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:12 PM

Was the computer plugged in when you removed the battery & reinstalled it ?

Turn it off & unplug it
check the cable to make sure it is fully seated where it plugs in to the hard drive & the motherboard.

Also check the power cable to the HD to make sure it is seated well.

It is easy to partially diconnect a cable without noticing it !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Dante318

Dante318
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:46 PM

yes i tested all of that again..checked all connections...booted up and came back to boot disk message again...turned off the computer and back on..blank screen with fans running high

#4 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:57 PM

"turned off the computer and back on..blank screen with fans running high "

I wouldn't try starting it anymore.
It sounds like either the power supply, motherboard, or both have failed.

I suggest trying a power supply.

DON'T hook the power supply that is in it to another computer !!!
If the power supply has failed it could fry the motherboard in the unit it's tried in !
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#5 Dante318

Dante318
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:50 PM

well the thing is...thats what it has been doing the whole time..going back and forth between either a boot disk failure or a blank screen with fans running high..but the fact it says the HD priority group is not installed in the bios...could it be a HD issue?

#6 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:34 AM

Completely disconnect the hard drive
Try starting the computer
If it gives a "Restart & select proper boot device" or a error of that nature the hard drive has probably failed.

If it does the same thing it has been doing the HD isn't the issue.

#7 Dante318

Dante318
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:52 AM

i cant even get anything to come on the screen at this point right now..just fans running high

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users