Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

POWER CONNECTORS INFLEXIBLE ON DELL 3100

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chris1284

chris1284

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:25 PM

I'm an inexperienced computer do-it-yourselfer. I would like to install a second internal hard drive on a Dell Dimension 3100.

I have made the connections and the second hard drive has been recognized. It seems the Dell engineers take special pride in presenting an unfriendly user design. I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH FREE LENGTH PROVIDED BETWEEN THE POWER CONNECTORS TO PERMANENTLY INSTALL THE SECOND HARD DRIVE.

I would obviously very much appreciate some advice on how to proceed. Is there a wire splitter of some sore sort that can provide the extra length required to install the second internal hard drive in the unused second bay?

I'm certainly hoping that I don't have to replace the power supply to line the pockets of Dell Inc.

Again any advice is appreciated. I presume
I'm not the first peson to confront this obstacle.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:52 PM

There are adapters/extensions available, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...pk=ide%20cables

They work :thumbsup:.

Louis

#3 chris1284

chris1284
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:01 PM

Thank you for your helpful advice. Sorry for the late acknowledgement of your assistance. :thumbsup:

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:07 PM

No problem, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:57 PM

" It seems the Dell engineers take special pride in presenting an unfriendly user design."

It's noy just Dell.
Most "brand name" computer manufacturers don't build computers with upgrading in mind.
They don't want people to be able to easily extend the usefullness of a computer.
They want a user to buy a new computer.
They count on computers becoming "obsolete" pretty quick [couple of years tops] so people will "upgrade" by buying a new computer.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users