Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclick.cn and now serious other problems (possibly Conficker?)

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#91 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 05:17 PM

You'll need a Windows XP CD to be able to reinstall Windows.

What is the make and model number of your computer?

Edited by Budapest, 10 July 2009 - 05:18 PM.

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#92 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:16 PM

It's a Thinkpad Z61p. Should I just wait till I'll have the disk again (probably 3 weeks) and then message you? Thank you soo soo soo much for all of your help!

#93 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,519 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 01:12 AM

You may be able to reinstall without the disks. Reboot the computer and as it boots hit the ThinkPad, Access IBM or ThinkVantage key (different models have different names for this key). Then follow the on screen prompts.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#94 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 03:01 PM

Yeah, it's reinstalling right now. Thank you so much! I have to Symantec Antivirus to connect to my school's computer, but what other security software would you recommend? Thanks again!

#95 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,519 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

It wouldn't be a bad idea to run a scan with Malwarebytes from time to time. Remember, all the protection in the world won't stop you getting infected if you don't practice safe internet use habits.

—George Bernard Shaw

#96 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 04:56 PM

Okay, makes sense. So Symantec and Malwarebytes then? Nothing else I should put on here?

I've now succesfully reinstalled Windows, but I'm having one more problem.

IE is browsing the internet fine, except that it wasn't able to a display .aspx site (That's the problem I've encountered so far.). I'm also having a few more problems with internet access (though the computer is saying I'm connected to my wireless fine, and most of IE is working):

Though I've downloaded and installed Firefox successfully, it can't access any sites.

Symantec can't update because it says," LU1814: LiveUpdate could not retrieve the update list. LiveUpdate could not retrieve the catalog file of available Symantec product and component updates. Pleasde verify that you are able to connect to the Internet and run LiveUpdate again.

And I couldn't update Java because mid-way through installation it says, "The installer cannot proceed with the current Internet Connection settings."

Since this all seems to be the same problem, and IE is working (mostly, except for that one site problem so far), I thought it might be the Windows Firewall. But I don't think it is--I turned off my Firewall and still none of those things worked.

Sorry to be a bother! Thanks again!

#97 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 05:24 PM

Actually, I think I've solved all of these problems. Apparently, some Windows update hadn't successfully installed with the rest of them, so I found out which one it was and manually downloaded it, and everything's working fine now. Thank you again so much for your help!

#98 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,519 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:18 PM

Some reading material:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users