Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclick.cn and now serious other problems (possibly Conficker?)

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#31 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:33 PM

How did you burn the .ISO file to the CD?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:52 PM

She has a Mac, so was just using the Burn Disc feature they have there. But her computer has its own problems (lack of memory), so it's been having some trouble and is now running into some errors. I should, however, be able to burn this at my computer at work, so I'm gonna send myself the link there, and hope that works tomorrow. Thank you so much for the help! Hopefully, I'll have everything backed-up by the next time I'm asking any questions. So, I'm going to call it a night fr now, but thank you again!

#33 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

Hello, sorry I've encountered another problem now...I have Knoppix loaded, but when I click my hard drive (IBM_Preload), it says unable to mount drive with the following error message: Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure

Hope there's a way around this?

#34 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

Would there be a way to mount manually? And if so, how would I find the name of my hard drive?

#35 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:24 PM

She has a Mac,

You can't read directly mac disc in windows. cause the mac discs are HFS not ISO 9660. I would imagines that also goes for the PC BIOS chip as well

Edited by garmanma, 07 July 2009 - 08:25 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#36 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:26 PM

Oh okay, but I've got the Knoppix to load fine...I was just using her Mac to download/burn the disc and read a tutorial on how to burn iso images there, and it seems to have worked. The problem now is that, on Knoppix, I can't access my hard drive.

#37 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

Hey sorry to be a bother, but would trying Slax instead of Knoppix possibly work?

#38 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,519 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:09 PM

It might. I was looking into your Error org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure problem but haven't found out anything useful yet. Unfortunately I don't know much about Linux.

You could also try Ubuntu.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vis...ndows-computer/
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#39 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:15 PM

Okay, great. Thank you so much for your help and your time! I'm downloading Ubuntu right now to try it, but had a quick question---it's 699mb, and my blank CDs are 700mb, so I'm assuming there will be an issue because it can never fill the whole CD? Or will it be fine?

Thanks!

#40 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,519 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

It should be fine.

—George Bernard Shaw

#41 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:19 PM

Great, thank you! I'll let you know how it goes as soon as I'm able to run it. Thanks again!

#42 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:54 PM

Hello! I got Slax to work, so I was able to recover all of my important files! Thank you so much!

So, I'm ready to start any fixes that might work. If we need to access my computer in Linux for any fixes, I'll probably switch back to Knoppix or I can download something on a USB drive and put it on Slax because, in Slax, I can't seem to access the internet with my wireless connection (apparently a lot of people have this problem from what I've found). So, just let me know what we can try! Thank you so much again!

#43 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,519 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 05:57 PM

Describe what happens if you try and boot your computer into Windows normally.

—George Bernard Shaw

#44 penguin2

penguin2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:14 PM

First, I got the following error message "We're sorry but Windows did not boot up normally..." (Sorry, it didn't stay there long enough for me to write the whole thing down. But it gave all the boot up options (Safe Mode, Last Known Good Configuration, etc.) and then Start Windows Normally, which it selected when the clock ran down, and then Windows started and got to the logon screen. There, I entered my password, and it said, "Loading your personal settings..." for about a minute. Then, it played the Windows start-up music and then immediately switched to "Logging off..." and after another a minute, it took me back to the logon screen.

#45 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,519 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

You will need access to a working Windows XP computer for this fix.

We will have to create a small 'fix CD' to solve this problem.
Please download RC.ISO and save it somewhere you can find it.
Also download MagicISO and install it.

Start MagicISO. You should see a window informing you about the full version of MagicISO.
In the bottom right select Try It! and the program will open.
Click on File and then on Open and navigate to the RC.ISO file you downloaded. Select it, and click Open.

First, we'll need to add a clean version of userinit.exe to the current RC.ISO
  • In the upper right pane, double click on the i386 folder.
  • Right click in the upper right pane and select Add Files...
  • Navigate to C:\Windows\System32 and select userinit.exe
  • Then click Open to add userinit.exe to the CD image.
  • Click File and select Save As...
  • Name the file RCplus and save it somewhere you can find it.
Next, we'll need to burn the newly created image to a disk that we can use to fix the problem.
  • Put a blank CD-R disk in your CD burner and close the tray. If an AutoPlay window opens, close it.
  • Click on Tools and select Burn CD/DVD with ISO.... A window will appear.
  • Click on the little folder to the right of CD/DVD Image File then navigate to the newly created RCplus.iso Image file and click Open.
  • In the CD/DVD Writing Speed drop-down menu choose the 8X setting.
  • Under Format make sure that Mode 1 is selected.
  • And finally, click on the Burn it! button to burn RCplus.iso to disk.
Once the disk is burned, put it in the machine you want to fix and restart it.
Boot to the CD just as you would with a Windows XP disk.
At the Welcome to Setup screen, press R to enter the Recovery Console.
Choose the installation to be repaired by number (usually 1) and press Enter.
When you are asked for the Administrator password, enter the password or leave it blank (default) and press Enter.

At the C:\Windows> prompt, type the following commands pressing Enter after each one. Note: Watch the spaces.

D:
cd i386
copy userinit.exe c:\windows\system32
exit

After putting in the third command, you should receive the message 1 file copied which will indicate that the operation succeeded.
Now take out the CD and reboot your computer to normal mode. Try to log in and it should let you back in.

Edited by Budapest, 08 July 2009 - 06:17 PM.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users