Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

new internet on new comp

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 youngmomma

youngmomma

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:52 PM

i just got internet on this comp for the first time and need to know how to scan my comp for viruses and malware or spyware and stuff so if someone could help i would apreciate it thanks jess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:46 AM

I suggest you get AntiVir free, it has very high detection rates and is light on resources.

You can also prevent a lot of malware simply by using Firefox with the WOT and Adblock Plus addons.

You should also use Malwarebytes Antimalware free and Superantispyware free as on-demand scanners.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:55 AM

What Firewall and other security do you have installed at the moment and what is your operating syatem youngmomma?. The following links are from the stickies at the top of this forum and are excellent reading in regard to your question.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

You need a good 2 way Firewall which protects your PC from both ingoing and outgoing traffic. No good just protecting incoming if the baddie is already onboard and connecting home every time you connect to the internet. My preference is Comodo but their are others.
You also need a good Antivirus my preference is Avira Antivir but like Firewalls there are other choices.

If you prefer an all in one system then the latest version of Comodo CIS v3.10 **** 530is very good and the default settings are good enough for the learner without hardly any popups at all once it has learned your programs. Comodo also have an excellent forum full of friendly people who will answer your queries quickly.
http://forums.comodo.com/

Spywareblaster is a must have program which will protect your PC from many infections.

Superantispyware and Malwarebytes antimalware scanners are probably the two best programs at the present time and are best used as on demand scanners to avoid conflicts.

Mozilla Firefox is a safer browser than Internet Explorer although IE8 is pretty good. Firefox is generally seen as better due to the add-ons available. If you use Firefox then the following add-ons will make your browsing very safe. No-Scripts, Ad-Block Plus and World of Trust. You will need Internet Explorer in order to use Windows Updates for keeping track of the latest security fixes etc.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions.

Edited by bluesjunior, 07 July 2009 - 06:59 AM.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#4 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:52 PM

i tried to download the antivir free and it said i have to get a newer version of windows and it wouldnt let me download it. do you have any other suggestions? it did the same thing with malware bytes says i need windows nt V 4.0 or newer thanks jess

ps i cant dowload and install the superanti spyware either said i need updated version of windows installer.. i get lost when i go to microsoft and look for updates is there a way you guys could get me a list of windows updates for my version of win me on hewlitt pac with fire fox? thanks so much

Edited by youngmomma, 08 July 2009 - 03:01 PM.

#5 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:58 PM

i dont think i have any firewall or protection thats why im so worried

by the way the add ons for firefox are now installed so hopefully they do some good for me.

Edited by youngmomma, 08 July 2009 - 03:18 PM.

#6 Computer Pro

Computer Pro

• Members
  • 2,448 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 04:07 PM

What Operating System are you using?
Computer Pro

#7 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:18 PM

i am using a hewlit packard with windows me and im not sure of much else thanks

#8 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:12 AM

Here is a link to a reputable download site called File Hippo. As Windows ME is quite old it is difficult to find modern security programs but if you look back through the older versions in File Hippo and click on the Technical tab you will see if they are compatible or not. To start you off you can download the final version of the AntiVirus program AVG Free Edition 7.5.524 from there. It is compatible with all versions of Windows but since they went to v8.5 they no longer support v7.5 but it will be better than nothing. perhaps someone with more knowledge of Firewalls will be able to point you in the right direction.
http://www.filehippo.com/
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:33 AM

Old Apps might be very useful in this situation.

http://www.oldapps.com/

#10 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:49 AM

i am using a hewlit packard with windows me and im not sure of much else thanks

In that case you should add Avast (free) as your antivirus protection.

#11 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:52 AM

According to the link below an older version of the Zone Alarm firewall vZoneAlarm Free 6.5.737 will work with ME and Someones is correct the latest version of Avast is compatible with all Windows systems and will therefore be more advisable than the AVG I mentioned in my previous post.
http://www.oldversion.com/ZoneAlarm.html

Edited by bluesjunior, 09 July 2009 - 07:54 AM.

#12 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:11 PM

thank you all for your help i did download avast and it tool forever for my comp to load so i think i am having some major memory issues with this piece of junk.i am going to have to spring for a new comp i think but wont be able to do that till oct.. i am currently using ie but everyone keeps telling me to use firefox?? but ie is so much faster than firefox on here . ugh im frustrated thanks again guys jess

#13 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:27 AM

thank you all for your help i did download avast and it tool forever for my comp to load so i think i am having some major memory issues with this piece of junk.i am going to have to spring for a new comp i think but wont be able to do that till oct.. i am currently using ie but everyone keeps telling me to use firefox?? but ie is so much faster than firefox on here . ugh im frustrated thanks again guys jess

You should definitely use a non-IE browser, as IE constantly being targeted by exploits. Do you mean IE is faster to load or has a faster browsing speed?

To speed up your computer you could download and run ATF Cleaner and JkDefrag. For more detailed advice, quietman7 has written a comprehensive guide.

#14 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:35 PM

thank you so much i have been trying to get something like this from someone and couldnt think of what it was i needed and yes ie seems faster on both loading and browsing but i have been using firefox and trying to be patient thanks again :thumbsup: jess

ok i downloaded the atf cleaner but cant remember what to check safely on it and the jkdefrag is a zip file and im not sure how to get to the program can you help ?> thanks alot jess

Edited by youngmomma, 10 July 2009 - 11:53 PM.

#15 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 02:04 AM

For ATF Cleaner, I suggest you check everything in the Main tab except for cookies, and the "Firefox cache" item under the Firefox tab.

For JkDefrag, you have to extract the files first. The easiest way to do this is to download 7-Zip. After you install 7-Zip, right click on the JkDefrag file and click "7-Zip" and then "Extract here". You can then double click on the JkDefrag.exe file to run JkDefrag.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 11 July 2009 - 03:00 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users