Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

trying to update all my drivers

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 youngmomma

youngmomma

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

I have a farely old comp and am using windows me and just got internet today again. I am trying to update things like flash player and windows but am having compatibility issues was trying to find some help to do this so that i can do more on my comp and not have so many problems with slow loading and such. thank you ahead of time . jess

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

I have a farely old comp and am using windows me and just got internet today again. I am trying to update things like flash player and windows but am having compatibility issues was trying to find some help to do this so that i can do more on my comp and not have so many problems with slow loading and such. thank you ahead of time . jess

Ok Jess. Well you haven't said which browser you are using. If you using IE then the latest Flash driver that works with Win9x/ME is Flash Player 9.0.124.0 (IE) If your not using IE then I think you may need Flash Player 9.0.124.0 (Non-IE). I know its says that v10 works with all Windows versions but it doesn't.

If you using IE which version are you using the default one 5.5 are later?

What other drivers are you stuck for? :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#3 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

I have ie and firefox not sure how to tell which version of ie i have and just wanting to make this comp run a little faster any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks for the links i will let you know if it works. thanks jess

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• Members
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:33 PM

I have ie and firefox not sure how to tell which version of ie i have

Open Internet Explorer. Click on Help then click on About. This will tell you what version of Internet Explorer you have.
Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:16 PM

i have ie 6

#6 mrpete

mrpete

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:05 AM

I know this is not what you had in mind, but I'm going to suggest it anyway ...

If you're going to use that computer on the net you really should have a secure/updated OS. That is just not possible with Windows ME because the security updates from Microsoft for that OS stopped in July of 2006. An awful lot has happened since then and none of the patches that came out for Win2K, XP, etc. have been done for Windows ME.

If you're never going to surf the web or you're _ONLY_ going to surf to the Microsoft, HP, Adobe, Apple, Spybot, etc. websites then ignore this post.

If at all possible install Windows 2000 on the machine. I believe that Microsoft will be putting out security updates for that OS until July of 2010. If the machine runs Windows ME well then Windows 2000 should also run well. Then again, maybe you're unable to install Windows 2000 on the box.

As for browsers I agree with a previous poster and suggest Firefox for you.

Microsoft is still issuing security software updates for IE 6, but the question is ... As a user of Windows ME will your OS/browser combo get properly patched?

May the wind be always at your back. :thumbsup:

#7 mrpete

mrpete

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:23 AM

Avast (free) was suggested for use as an antivirus for Win 95/95/ME over in the "Why do people still use windows 95 98 and Me?" thread ...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1321185

#8 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 06:35 AM

i have ie 6

Is it the basic IE6.0 or IE6.0 SP1? Please check your About page again.

When I run IE6.0 on Win9x/ME I always get iexplore.exe 6.0.2600.0 in mshtml.dll 6.0.2600.0 at offset 00068545 error until I install SP1. SP1 is freely available if you do a search.

If you're going to use that computer on the net you really should have a secure/updated OS. That is just not possible with Windows ME because the security updates from Microsoft for that OS stopped in July of 2006.

We know that support for Win9x/ME ended a long time ago but if you use this M$ link it will check the operating system you are using and show a list of updates available. You just click on the parts you want to install. :thumbsup:

Keith

#9 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 10:15 PM

6.0.2800.1106IC hope this is what you wanted to know thanks for all you help again jess

#10 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 08:46 AM

In my opinion forget about IE or Firefox if you are using Windows ME. Opera is updated and most secure browser for Windows ME.
IE 6 catches malware very fast. Firefox stopped support for 98/Me after version 2.2 I think.

Get Opera browser, Avast! antivirus and Outpost 2.7 firewall. All three are free.

Stay safe :thumbsup:

#11 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:05 AM

kerio personal firewall 2.5 (i think its 2.5) is a good firewall
i cant see what version i got now because am booted in ubuntu at the moment
i tell ya when i have the chance :thumbsup:

#12 youngmomma

youngmomma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 169 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:24 PM

thanks for all your help jess

#13 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2009 - 06:29 AM

6.0.2800.1106IC hope this is what you wanted to know thanks for all you help again jess

No not really. It should say Update versions: SP1 if you have SP1 installed. Read every line for SP1? :thumbsup:

Keith

#14 Jihane Z

Jihane Z

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:35 PM

I suggest Firefox instead of Opera cuz its faster and Avg antivirus, scans every corner: spywares, pop ups...

#15 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

Firefox instead of Opera cuz its faster

Be careful with 'blanket comments like this. Because I can tell you for a fact, that for me Opera is noticeably faster than Firefox. With nearly identical settings and configurations.

The more accurate comment would be "I suggest Firefox because I find it to be faster for me and my browsing habits. You need to verify that is the case for you and your browsing habits." And use the browser that fits you, best.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users