Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External HDD w/ Vista 32 bit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 audioAl

audioAl

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:04 PM

I want to connect an external drive used on another computer, it was configured thru a different mainboard, does this matter?? I want to use the Vista OS on the external drive to play music and rip flac files w/ EAC exact audio copy. Will Linux fight my boot, or how easy is it. Thanks Alan
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:53 PM

Not sure what you're asking, can you rephrase and be a little clearer?

#3 Miljet

Miljet

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:43 PM

You can add the Vista to Grub's menu.lst file or set your BIOS to boot the USB drive first, but it will not matter. Windows operating systems will not run on a system with different hardware than it was installed on. I had a copy of XP balk one time just because I replaced a CD ROM drive with a DVD burner!

Why do you need Vista to listen to music or rip music files anyway? There are tons of Linux apps that will handle every type music format known to man.

#4 audioAl

audioAl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 426 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 09 July 2009 - 11:24 AM

You can add the Vista to Grub's menu.lst file or set your BIOS to boot the USB drive first, but it will not matter. Windows operating systems will not run on a system with different hardware than it was installed on. I had a copy of XP balk one time just because I replaced a CD ROM drive with a DVD burner!

Why do you need Vista to listen to music or rip music files anyway? There are tons of Linux apps that will handle every type music format known to man.

Thanks Miljet, I did use another mainboard with this external drive. So, it wont work. Oh well, I'm just looking at the alternatives.
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit/Intel e5300 cpu/ASRock G41M-LE mainboard/G max4500 onboard graphics/4gigs OCZ 800Mhz ram/ VIA onboard HD Vinyl audio/Yamaha RX-V465 HT receiver/ Cambridge SoundWorks and Infinity RS1001 speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users