Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot boot Windows XP into Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AC008

AC008

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:51 PM

Hi. Thanks for reading my post.

I am using Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600), Service Pack 3.

I am trying to run some virus scanners in safe mode, but I am unable to boot in safe mode. I even followed the steps outlined in the guide posted here on Bleeping Computer. First, I tried using the System Configuration Utility, by typing in msconfig in Run. Strangely, there was no boot tab. I then reboot my computer, hit f8, but instead a screen comes up giving me the option of which drive I would like to boot first. I have three drives in total, two hard drives, and one dvd rom.

Maybe it has to do with the bios? My motherboard is an ASUS M3N78-VM, BIOS version: 08.00.14.

I hope the information I have provided is sufficient enough for you to assist me with my issue. If you require more information please do not hesitate to ask. Thank you for your time.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,850 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:13 PM

Why do you want to boot into safe mode?

FWIW: If you get two boot options for XP...then you've attempted two installs...or you have two installs.

Why don't you try beginning at the beginning...and tell us what you think is wrong with your system and why you are hot to run AV from safe mode?

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users