Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PLEASE, HELP ME!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

Sorry for the caps but I'm SUFFERING.. I haven't gotten such a bad virus for years.

It started like this... I wanted to watch Transformers 2 online, okay? Okay...

It said I needed to download some player, I didn't realize I was downloading it because I just clicked play. It was streaming some bullbleep fake filler of transformers 2 and it downloaded some fake player. I removed it. I went to a website, I won't go into detail, but it was well known. I've never had bad experience with the website, and I've visited it so many times. Never got a virus from it, or had problems with it.

I knew nothing of WinBlueSoft, but it did say something about my IP address attempting to attack their website, and that it's possibly a virus. I downloaded WinBlueSoft and got screwed... I removed it, from the registry, from my program files, any trace there was, I removed it. I got avast professional and ran a scan. It then proceeded to restart my computer and do a boot scan. Almost every exe file ( Executable ) was detected as a virus, or at least, infected with Sality-O or some bleep....

I did notice that most of the 'infected' software was programs that I had running, or had ran after I installed win blue soft.

I got so frustrated because of all the lagg, and freezes, my computer performance DROPPED dramatically.

I couldn't play any games without dropping to 15 FPS, from the usual 50+ fps.

I couldn't download any files because my download speed was dropped to 40 K/B, from it's original 350+ K/B.

So I decided to do a system restore.. I had trouble doing this because it kept skipping the ' Press f10 now ' bleep, it just skipped to a black screen with a blanking " _ " symbol, before saying " INVALID OR DAMAGED BOOTABLE PARTION ".

I got scared, I freaked, I had just ordered a new video card, sound card, and a number of other computer supplies.

This scared me extremely bad. I panicked, I told myself that if I just leave it alone everything will be okay...

A few hours later I turned on my computer, it let me do the system restore. I did the destructive one, it worked... Untill I finally finished setting up my ' NEW XP COMPUTER ' ( You know, the little set-up. ), Then after this I booted up to my desktop. Everything was fine, I was happy, relived, then... Out of no where, my screen goes black. It restarts itself, and then gives me the INVALID OR DAMAGED BOOTABLE PARTION bleep... This really hurts, and frustrates me. I did at least two system restores total. A moment ago I got that horrible error, but managed to boot up again without having to restore. So here I am now, and I beg of you, anyone, the forum team, please, HELP ME!

NOTE: I'm afraid to restart my computer because if I do I get that damn error, but even if it does successfully boot to windows, it still shows that black screen with the blinking _ symbol... Then it proceeds to the win XP loading screen.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 06 July 2009 - 01:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:00 PM

Is any of the new hardware installed in your computer? If so what does device manager say?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:08 AM

I haven't installed any new hardware.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:44 AM

It might be best to do a full reformat of the hard drive, deleting any and all partitions and reinstall from factory media.
Chewy

#5 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:47 PM

Argh. The invalid or damaged bootable partion stopped, but I still have that weird flashing " _ " symbol at start up. I decided to remove everything off my USB drive... My games, some save files.... Some programs, pictures of some very important people. ;[ Everything. Everything is back to normal except that damned flashing " _ " symbol at start up, that blinks for about 10 seconds.

I still believe I'm infected some how.

#6 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:50 AM

Well... I guess was completely wrong.. I started my computer this morning and got a " Winows was unable to start because HAL.dll was not found. " I then tried to do a system recovery. ( f10) It then gave me an error about another .DLL not being found.. What do I do now? Can I repair my computer with a CD?

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 05:40 AM

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Here's a guide to a repair with XP cd but a full format and clean install, sounds like it might work. A repair doesn't remove any infections.
Chewy

#8 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

Well, that did stop the blinking " _ " symbol... And I rarely get invalid of damaged bootable partion error, maybe once every four restarts. >: I'm going to just buy a new hard drive and run a clean install of windows XP to it.

#9 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:09 PM

I'm going to just buy a new hard drive and run a clean install of windows XP to it.

That would eliminate infection vs hard drive failing questions and you could then investigate the old drive at your leisure.
Chewy

#10 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:30 PM

Well I didn't buy a hard drive, I just kept running on my old one. Everything was still a bit odd, then last night my computer randomly shut offf, and said hal.dll was missing.

I tried system recovery and it said System recovery enviorment could not start, please insert HP system Recovery CD/DVD #1.

Where can I buy such a CD? Or do I have to buy windows XP installtion? I need help, and if I do buy a hard drive with XP on it, how would I know if it meets the requirement of my PC? ( All this is happening to my current PC that I'm using till I can go back home. ) It's an HP pavillion a712n. It's been in this house for about three years, maybe two.

#11 thrillhouse

thrillhouse

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:37 PM

If you have a warranty then your computer's manufacturer can send you the disk no problem.

If you have access to a drive enclosure or have any way to hook the drive up to another computer, you can use partition table recovery software to get it to boot up correctly, then backup what you need or try to eliminate the virus from there.

Worked for me.

#12 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:39 PM

It's likely those HP reinstall options are hosed(infected) so badly you will need to order a complete recovery media set,
I would tell them your hard drive may be dying also?
Chewy

#13 ZlobIsFun

ZlobIsFun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 92 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:17 PM

Boy, what a bummer. My warranty wore off two months ago, anyway, I was able to get an old hard drive to work on the computer, everything is back to normal now. I guess there was no possible fix, and I'm guessing my hard drive was dying, just maybe, I'm not so sure though. But anyway, thanks for the advice, and trying to help..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users