Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WIreless networking in a Motel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:27 PM

I will be moving soon to Abilene Kansas and opening my office downtown.
My apartment will be located in a motel that is currently being totally refurbished.
The motel consists of a main office/restaurant building and three adjacent buildings for 75 guest rooms.
The owner wants me to do the wireless Internet.

Wireless networking on a home or office is easy. But I have never done one on this large of a scale before.
Needless to say, the sooner I get it to work, the sooner I have Internet access in my apartment

Anyone have experience or input on a project of this scale?

Thanks
In the beginning there was the command line.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

You might need to design and adapt the system as you go along, assuming a limited budget. I would probably just start with premium wireless router at the backbone and add others using cat5 until I got full coverage on the grounds.

The high wattage units used in hotspots like campgrounds or hotels are real expensive.

Wired might be more desirable for anyone in a long term stay.
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:09 PM

Thanks Chewy

Wired really isnt an option as there are 4 buildings involved. It is a considerable area, 75 rooms plus the restaurant and bar. I dont think the owner would really like the idea of drilling holes in his freshly completed rooms.

I was thinking along the lines of signal boosters in key locations or something like that to cover the entire grounds.

Owner has another motel in Abilene as well using wireless. The signal is extremely weak in the far corners of the grounds. He is not compute literate but his son is. He wants it done right.

As my apartment is there, I have a personal interest for it to work correctly first time.

Can you point me to a link for good powerful routers and boosters and maybe make a reccomendation?

Thanks

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:06 PM

Being in construction and rennovation over the years made me less apprehensive about running wires.

I would just stay with a good residental router at the back bone.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833124190

Depending upon it's placement and the wall and floor composition the signal will be weak, but adding one of two more of these connected by wire will give you better coverage and a lot easier to setup than access points.

Customers won't care anout extra networks, they just want one with good signal strength

Never set them up but wasn't impressed with them when I used one.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833124012

Read the customer reviews to get a sample of what I am talking about

Edited by DaChew, 07 July 2009 - 01:11 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 3,540 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:07 PM

Thanks Chewy

I was thinking about something like this
Bountiful High Wattage Routers

Considering the money he has already spent on the motel, and that he wants it right first time, it goes 1200 feet.

Dont know if this will get it though.
Exploring options.

Trust me, when the Internet goes down in the rooms I will be the first one he will call!
That will be my apartment too.

It has to be done right the first time
No matter what!

Edited by Eyesee, 07 July 2009 - 10:14 PM.

#6 andrewww

andrewww

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 07:05 PM

Would an 'N' router not help with signal?
Lucy
C2D E6600 @ 2.4, 8GB OCZ Reaper @ 1066, 500GB Barracuda, Powercolor HD4850, Asus P5Q Pro, Corsair TX650, NZXT Lexa Blackline, Windows 7 - Build 7100, Samsung 22" Monitor

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

Can you give us an idea of the layout of the buildings? Where is the equipment going to be set up? WOOHOO Arts and Crafts time!! lol.

Something to also think about is security. Keeping people from just sitting in the parking lot mooching. Keeping people out of other people's computers and the like. Are you going to restrict certain sites? Certain programs? Just things to think about =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users