Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

crashed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ptts17

ptts17

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:54 AM

hello friends,Iam at dier straight's with this computer of mine! my prob is was doing a system restore to a back date!cant remember the particular reason why,went for a cuppa tea came back my comp was blank tried movoing my mouse thaught it would come to life no joy!shut down and started up again!get xp pro start up logo and end up @the screenthat has safe mode,safe mode with net working,last known good config etc.use up and down arrows to move highlight to your choice,i cant buge thehighlighted part ,on count down i cant stop it this is as far as i can get on my compu! the other prob is i have no boot disc to start from scratch!well i do but it is older than the version i had installed by a repair shop!
I am at a complete loss and cheesed off your help would be welcomed even the suggestion BIN IT!!!
J.F.PITTS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

You can create your own Recovery Console disk with this file:

http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

You must burn this file to a CD as an ISO. Post back if you need more information on how to do this.

Insert the Recovery Console CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.

Type: chkdsk /r

It's important to have a space before the "/".

To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 ptts17

ptts17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:48 AM

could i have more on how to burn file as iso please!the rest i think i can manage! thanks for your assistance!
J.F.PITTS

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:29 PM

Download and install the freeware version of DeepBurner.

http://www.deepburner.com/

When you first start the program select "Burn ISO Image". Select the Image File as the RC.iso. Insert a blank CD and click Burn.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 ptts17

ptts17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2009 - 01:51 PM

budapest thanks for your help but had no joy with it! would welcome any other suggestion! cheer's :flowers: :trumpet: :thumbsup:
J.F.PITTS

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:16 PM

<<...but had no joy with it!>>

What does that mean? Did you run the suggested command from the Recovery Console?

<<...the other prob is i have no boot disc to start from scratch!well i do but it is older than the version i had installed by a repair shop!>>

If you mean...that you have an XP install CD...then you could update it via slipstreaming...and try a repair install of XP.

If you mean that you have a copy of some Win 9x operating system...you seem to be out of luck.

Slipstreaming Windows XP To Create a Bootable Windows XP CD or DVD - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install - http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Another alternative you could try: Avira AntiVir Rescue System - http://www.free-av.com/en/tools/12/avira_a...cue_system.html

Louis

#7 ptts17

ptts17
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 06:34 AM

yes i ran the recovery disc but still ended up at the same predicament, where i get a count down cant stop the cont down or select anything like safe mode,safemode networking or sart frm last known good configuration!!
J.F.PITTS

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 04:04 PM

Try these commands in the Recovery Console:

fixboot

fixmbr

bootconfig /rebuild

Edited by Budapest, 18 July 2009 - 04:05 PM.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users