Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP Restore Programme missing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 galpin

galpin

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:52 AM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:03 AM

I just upgraded from 98 to XP. The system restore programme is missing on my Windows XP. I've checked the regular place in system tools but the programme is simply not there. I am running SP2, AVG anti virus, spybot, hijack this and ad aware. How can I get system restore running again?

Edited by galpin, 07 July 2005 - 01:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 04:17 PM

have you checked the registory. start, search files and folders, local drive C type in systems restore, and if it comes up, right click and do a short cut to desktop.

If that does not work, then find out what kind of disk you have, upgrade or full.

Hope this helps you.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:36 PM

Actually just navigate to this folder.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore

if the file named rstrui.exe is there then you have system restore, but just no link to it.

#4 galpin

galpin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:22 PM

OK did that and found rstrui.exe. Weird thing is tht when I try to execute it just does not work. Some other strange stuff: I can't get outlook express or messenger to work. Lets just concentrate on system restore for now. SR is where is should be but it does not work. Please don't tell me to try and do a clean install :thumbsup:

#5 TEB

TEB

• Banned
  • 449 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 05:33 PM

Have you made sure system restore is turned on?

Control panel> double click system> click the system restore tab> make sure its checked.

#6 galpin

galpin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2005 - 06:17 PM

Went there (Control Panel System) and System restore is not there. I wonder if I will need to do a XP reinstall/repair? Is there a way to do this without wiping out the SP 2 upgrade?

#7 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 AM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 11:46 AM

hi if you have sp2 on which gives you your firewall. take spybolt,adware,and hijack this.now try and see if systems restore and your other missing progs are there now. if they are then that was your trouble, if not then a complete reinstall will be in order, sp2 you can get on a disc and this time, see if restore is there before you install anything else.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#8 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 AM

Posted 09 July 2005 - 12:12 PM

NOTE: This is a registry edit. If you're not familiar with working in the registry, DO NOT ATTEMPT.
Improper changes to the registry could render your computer inoperable.
Remember to backup the registry before making any changes.
Instructions, on how to do that, can be found here:
Backing up the Registry

You can try kellys-korner.

#289 on the right - Restore System Restore Service
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#9 galpin

galpin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:34 PM

I gave up on XP and went back to ME. Apparently there are problems when upgrading from 98 and ME to XP. Plus we are at the cottage with dial-up and the SPs are too big to download. Perhaps I'll bring the box back to the city in the fall and upgrade during the depths of winter. Fishing and swimming are more fun right now. Thanks for all your comments and help

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 08:14 PM

Order the SP 2 upgrade CD from Microsoft so you have it by the time you're ready to install it.

To obtain Windows XP SP2 on CD, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloa...us/default.mspx

Being that this is an upgrade from Win 98 the computer you are performing it on is not brand new, therefore it has hardware and software that may pose problems.

The following three links may be useful:

Windows XP Advisor (will inform you if Win XP will be able to be installed on your computer)
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upg...ng/advisor.mspx

Programs that are known to experience a loss of functionality when they run on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based computer
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...ct=windowsxpsp2

Some programs seem to stop working after you install Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842242/

If you have any hardware or software that shows as problematic on the Microsoft websites go to the support pages the manufacturers of the hardware and/or the suppliers of the third party software will undoubtedly have provided to upgrade their products to XP compatable status.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users