Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Loss of server connectivity after power loss

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sausage

sausage

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:22 AM

Ok, so friday we had a power loss which shut down our server. Now today we rebooted the server and the monitor shorted so we have no way of debugging it from there, no computers have internet (except my laptop which is stealing the internet from a nearby company) and I have no idea what else to do.

I am not familiar with servers but I am the only one with significant computer experience to do this. My dad said that we connect to the server then to the internet? (i don't believe him, but its a possibility)

please when you respond tell me everything you will need I dont have much time

EDIT: Ok, so I got a replacement monitor but the password my dad wrote down doesn't work, is there any way that the administrative password can change due to an unexpected shutdown?

Edited by sausage, 06 July 2009 - 09:58 AM.

If I'm posting, I probably have something horribly wrong with my computer, there's no obvious explanation for it, that's just the way it is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ingle

Ingle

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:11 PM

Well your dad is correct about the internet. The path is normally Workstation > Switch > Server > Firewall > Router > ISP.

For the password, I recommend burning a Linux Live CD here. It will give you options (keep selecting the default) and eventually bring you to a point where you can change the username/password. I prefer to delete the password completely and then just remake it after I log in.

Edit: Had the wrong link.

Edited by Ingle, 07 July 2009 - 02:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users