Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

add ons for firefox

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 tennistennis

tennistennis

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:08 AM

ive heard WOt, adblock plus and noscript are good. do i need WOT and adblock plus if i also use noscript?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:58 AM

NoScript conditionally blocks scripts on a webpage like javascript and also detects malware techniques used using scripting( like XSS)

AdBlock blocks advertisements on a web site like gif, jpeg and flash ads reducing your bandwidth and loading page faster. Most webmasters frown over its use.

WoT or Web of Trust warns you about scam/phishing/fruad web sites.

As these three add different features to FireFox, they can be all used together, depeding on what the user wants.

do i need WOT and adblock plus if i also use noscript?

Well, thats for you to decide if you need them or not. But yes these add-ons are recommended in general.

#3 Justa

Justa

• Members
  • 222 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:26 AM

I use all three and find all of them very useful. WOT gives you a detailed safety rating for sites by simply holding your mouse over the WOT ring icon by the link. The sites overall rating is color coded into the ring. It has saved me a few times.

#4 tennistennis

tennistennis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:58 PM

how do i install the ad ons?

#5 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 12:49 AM

Go to Tools > Add-ons. Click on the icon that says Get Add-ons, then use the search bar to find the add-on you're lookibg for. After you find it, click Add to Firefox.... After that, you will see that the install button is grayed out with a countdown timer. Just wait for it to finish, then click Install Now.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#6 srjefe2

srjefe2

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2009 - 10:16 AM

i have added noscript before but the defaults screw down everything and I find myself constantly clicking on the allow button else practically nothing is visible on the page. I use wot but ended up uninstalling noscript since it was such a pain in the mouse.

Anybody have a decent explanation/suggested settings?

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 03:19 PM

i have added noscript before but the defaults screw down everything and I find myself constantly clicking on the allow button else practically nothing is visible on the page. I use wot but ended up uninstalling noscript since it was such a pain in the mouse.

If you are visiting an unknown web site then do not allow any scripts to be run. You never know what that site has for surprise.
If you are visiting a known web site or a reputed company's site, then you may allow scripts. For example, google, yahoo etc.
If you a visit a known web site everyday, you might want to make permissions permanent so you dont have to click everytime.
If you are visiting a known attack web site (why would you visit, in first place?), use Sandboxie instead.

http://www.sandboxie.com/

Sandboxie could be perfect for you, as you do not want to click many times.

#8 tennistennis

tennistennis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

did you change the settings of noscript? i installed it, did nothing and it says it is blocking scripts and i dont have to click anything. should this be right?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users