Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

McAfee Total Protection hiding Internet Applications list

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bventure

bventure

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:36 AM

Dell Vostro 1500 laptop, XP2 SP3.

I use McAfee Total Protection Service (4.7.0.752 patch 4). Noticed recently that the Internet Application list in firewall properties was empty, clearly shouldn't be. I completely uninstalled and reinstalled McAfee OK, and the Internet Application list was now populated OK. This was about a week ago. Just checked again and the list is again empty.

This seems to be just the sort of thing Malware would do.

McAfee, Windows Defender & Malwarebytes all say all is well, and everything appears to be running normally, but I am very suspicious. Is this a known symptom? Can you advise a course of action?

Thanks
Martin Davies

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 10 July 2009 - 12:18 PM

Hi bventure,

I can look for reasons why this is happening, but this is a problem specific to McAfee where you might get help faster directly from their product forum: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

Two questions though: Is your service with McAfee current? What happens if you disable Windows Defender and then reinstall the McAfee one more time?

Zllio

Edited by Zllio, 10 July 2009 - 12:22 PM.

#3 bventure

bventure
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 07:17 AM

Hi bventure,

I can look for reasons why this is happening, but this is a problem specific to McAfee where you might get help faster directly from their product forum: http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/index.php

Two questions though: Is your service with McAfee current? What happens if you disable Windows Defender and then reinstall the McAfee one more time?

Zllio

Hi Zllio, thanks for your reply and apologies for my slow response. I'll try the McAfee forum as you suggest, it's just that I thought hiding the details of what had firewall permissions set was typical malware strategy, rather than a McAfee issue. I can reinstall McAfee if necessary, although it's a bit of a pain as it doesn't retain firewall settings. I'll see what the forum says, if that gets me nowhere I'll reinstall again, if still no joy I'll get back to you, is that OK?

Thanks
Martin

Edited by bventure, 13 July 2009 - 07:18 AM.

#4 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 13 July 2009 - 08:19 AM

Yes. Someone will be here to help you if you need further help.

Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users