Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista stuck on configuring updates

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Martin R

Martin R

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:36 AM

Hope somone can help me, my dell laptop with Vista OS is stuck on "Configuring updates stage 3 of 3 0% complete. It keeps restarting and coming back to this. I have left it for 2 days doing this then I have tried system repair and using my Vista Cd to repair with no luck. I tried to do a system restore but That was no help. Can I restore without lossing all my data and programs. Please Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:46 AM

Hi, try this open a command prompt by right click and choose run as administrator for Vista.

Updates are not installed successfully from Windows Update, from Microsoft Update, or by using Automatic Updates.

Open a command prompt and follow the instuctions:
Method 1: Register the Wups2.dll file in Windows
To register the Wups2.dll file in Windows, follow these steps:
Stop the Automatic Updates service. To do this, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then click OK.
At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
net stop wuauserv
Register the Wups2.dll file. To do this, follow these steps:
At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
Note For a computer that is running Windows XP Professional x64 Edition, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
regsvr32 %windir%\syswow64\wups2.dll
Click OK on each verification message that you receive.
Start the Automatic Updates service. To do this, type the following command at the command prompt, and then press ENTER:
net start wuauserv
Exit the command prompt. To do this type exit, and then press ENTER.
MCP
MSDST

#3 Martin R

Martin R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:21 AM

Thanks tried this but I can only get command prompt from system recovery options. When I type in net stop wuauserv I get a error which states that the service does not exist. when I try option 2 I get filename directory or syntex incorrect.

Any other advice please ???

#4 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:29 PM

Try to reset your Windows Update Components.

You can either hit the fix it button or do it manually. I would hit the button lol. Try default mode before you try agressive. If this doesn't work let me know, there are other options, but this is the first.

#5 Martin R

Martin R
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:18 PM

Thanks

I tried this, still no go.

#6 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

Can you give me an error number? Hit Start and in the dialog box type in (or copy paste it from here lol) %windir%\WindowsUpdate.log

Hit enter. It should open up your windows update log in notepad. Click Edit and select "Find" type Fatal in the dialog box and hit find next.

Sounds like you will have a bunch of duplicate entries so keep hitting find next until you get to one on (or near) today's date (what ever "today" is when you do this). You will get an entry like this:

2009-06-30 01:30:01:920 2832 1180 COMAPI FATAL: Unable to complete asynchronous search. (hr=8024400E)

The error number in this case is 8024400E (which I highlighted lol). Write it down and give it to me, or google it.

I found a thread with a similar problem at the Microsoft forums, but they have not resolved it yet. You can read it HERE but I think you have done all they suggested so far except deleting the pending XML file. To do that (delete the pending XML file) hit start and type CMD in the dialog box. CMD will appear at the top, right click it and select "Run as administrator." WHen that opens up, type in (note there are 2 commands that need to be entered separately):

cd windows\winsxs (hit enter)
del pending.xml (hit enter)

Reboot and see if it is still happening. You DO have SP1 installed don't you?

NOTE: I just noticed you said you can't get the command prompt? Have you tried it the way I suggested? If so have you tried it by Start> All Programs> Accessories and then right click on Command prompt and select run as admin?

Tell me if any of this helps.

Edited by DeathStalker, 08 July 2009 - 07:54 PM.

#7 darkstarmeyers

darkstarmeyers

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 17 July 2009 - 12:34 AM

hello, i have an HP laptop with the same problem, how would i even begin to try everyones solutions if i cant get past this screen?

#8 DeathStalker

DeathStalker

• Banned
  • 868 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:59 AM

Have you tried booting in safemode?

#9 iDukeHelp

iDukeHelp

• Members
  • 170 posts