Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ONLY 8mb capacity on my C drive????

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jasonb20

Jasonb20

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:17 AM

Yup, I had to re-install my OS (windows xp) recently and screwed some things up pretty good. When I formatted the drives I only allocated 8mb to drive C somehow. I have 2 internal drives here that are mixed up. My 80GB Western Digital drive is listed as disk 0 and currently being used so I don't really want to mess with that. My other drive is a 20 GB Seagate and not being used and listed as disk 1.
The problem is that I'm trying to download a driver for a HP printer that was given to me without the software. When I download the driver and attempt to open up the file, it gives me an error message stating I need more space because 8Mb is not sufficient.
1) First, does anyone know if I can re-format my drives properly without losing my stored data?
2) Do I need a partition software repair program to fix this?
3) How can I re-partition the "C" drive that currently has 8mb so it can have 18.64 GB space I'm not using on the other drive?
Sorry If I'm confusing you, but I'm not too computer savy as you obviously can see. :thumbsup:
Here's a screenshot of the mass confusion:
Posted Image

Edited by Jasonb20, 06 July 2009 - 02:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aommaster

aommaster

I !<3 malware

• Malware Response Team
  • 5,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:25 AM

Hi!

1) First, does anyone know if I can re-format my drives properly without losing my stored data?

Please elaborate on what you mean by 'properly'?
I think it may be possible, but what you'll need is to store a partition image first onto a third partition (one that will not be changing during the repartioning process)

2) Do I need a partition software repair program to fix this?

As far as I'm aware of, yes, you'll need a partitioning program to achieve this partition image. I'm pretty sure Paragon Partition Manager does this.

Edit:
Program only needed if you'd like to create a patition image. Simple partitions can be done in MS-DOS using the FDisk function. However, a program's interface is much easier to deal with.

3) How can I re-partition the "C" drive that currently has 8mb so it can have 18.64 GB space I'm not using on the other drive

Okay, so let me see if I got this. You'd like to change disk 1 so that it is your C drive?
This may be a bit more complicated. This is how you'll need to do it:
  • I don't see why you'd like to save your stored data because the computer looks freshly formatted. However, if you do, I say it would make your life easier if you just burned the data onto a CD or such.
  • Delete all the partitions on all the drives, disk 0 AND disk 1
  • From disk 1, you'll need to create a primary partition. If this works well, it will automatically be allocated as drive C.
  • You can then designate the partition structure for your other drive (currently drive 0) as secondary partitions.
As far as I'm aware, the above should work and get you the results you want :thumbsup:

Edited by aommaster, 06 July 2009 - 05:26 AM.

My website: http://aommaster.com
unite_blue.png
Please do not send me PM's requesting for help. The forums are there for a reason : )
If I am helping you and do not respond to your thread for 48 hours, please send me a PM

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:13 AM

Disk0 and Disk1 as reflected in Device Manager...are insignificant. A SATA drive will be reflected ahead of a PATA drive...that's been my experience...whether it's the boot drive or not.

From that shot, it looks like both drives are bootable...is there a reason for that?

Which drive/partition is XP installed on?

In any case...you can use a program like the following to merge the partitions listed as C: and D:, EASEUS Partition Master is a magic partition manager software for Windows 2000-XP-Vista-2003- - http://www.partition-tool.com/

Whichever drive you want to be the boot drive...should be attached to the system minus the other hard drive. Since it's the only drive with XP, it may be picked up by the system as the C: drive (after you've combined the two partitions as previously suggested).

If not, then a repair install (minus the second hard drive) will accomplish what you seem to want.

Louis

#4 Jasonb20

Jasonb20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:38 PM

Thanks gents for your prompt answers. I've downloaded the Easeus partition Master and before I mess with anything, I'd like to show the screenshot.
Posted Image
I believe XP is installed on drive D on disk 1. I don't know why I have 2 bootable drives either. I'm very confused as to which drive here I should have as primary or which to use as the boot drive.
How do I now use the partition master software now???

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:01 PM

Read the instructions...this generally should be done before even downloading/installing a given program.

Louis

#6 Jasonb20

Jasonb20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:00 PM

Read the instructions...this generally should be done before even downloading/installing a given program.

Louis

LOL, not the answer I was looking for but that definitely is a start. Thanks again Louis. You the man!

#7 Jasonb20

Jasonb20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 12:56 AM

Well, I've read the directions and still couldn't figure it out. Here's what I've done so far:
1) Selected the disk I wanted to resize (in my case-Disk 1 / Drive C) and chose the resize/move function.
I was unable to slide the cross arrows to adjust the size.
Posted Image
2) I then attempted to change the number of unallocated space and nothing happened.
Posted Image

I'm stuck at this point, unable to proceed further. I've even googled this problem elsewhere and tried youtube for help. Nothing. I'm almost wanting to just do a windows repair, however this is what got me in this situation in the 1st place.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 07:34 AM

<<...use a program like the following to merge the partitions listed as C: and D:...>>

My error, you cannot do a simple merge with this software...but you can change the partition sizes. To increase the size of 1 partition, you must create the unallocated space first. If you have two partitions, one must be made smaller (creating unallocated space) before the unallocated space can be added to the other partition. Generally speaking...you want to create the unallocated space to the immediate right of the partition you eventually intend to increase in size.

If you are going to do something like this, you need to pay attention and follow directions...or you are just going to screw things up. In which case, you would be better leaving things as they were.

You need to read the Help section on resizing (within the Easeus program).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 July 2009 - 07:46 AM.

#9 Jasonb20

Jasonb20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 02:32 AM

Thanks to aommaster and Hamluis a.k.a Louis, I've resolved this issue. Easeus Partition Master did the job!

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

#11 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:22 PM

Just as as post/side note, I wonder if you could have ghosted your partition(s) and then formatted the drives, creating the necessary allocated space and then write the ghost image back to the drives? Would that have worked?
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,247 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 03:40 PM

Yes, it would have workded...but he has the same capabillity by just using the partitioning program to adjust the sizes of the two partitions.

Some programs allow users to just merge existing partitions (my original line of thought)...but, in computing, there are often various ways to achieve the same end. In this case, room to breathe could be achieved by various steps.

Louis

#13 Eric RBA

Eric RBA

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 08:20 PM

Excellent. Thanks for the input Louis. It worked out in the end, which is ultimately the goal here.
I would never ask a person to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users