Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer won't Boot.. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 greyspace

greyspace

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:09 AM

Hi, I'm having a problem with my computer booting. A little background in case it's needed.... I was using my laptop when I noticed that it had froze up on me. I manually powered down by pressing the power button down for about 10 seconds. It shut down and restarted.. but nothing happened. It came on like it was going to boot, but I didn't see the disk light activitity come on, and I couldn't hear the computer trying to boot either. All I got was a blank screen. I kept manually shutting down and restarting, but I would get the same thing, just a blank screen. I disconnected everything connected to the laptop thinking that might help, but it didn't. I finally disconnected the power adaptor, restarted and it seemed to boot up and I got the Windows XP screen to come half-way up, and the status load bar.. it froze up at 2 bars. I re-booted again, but didnt get the XP screen, only a blank screen again.

A few minutes before I noticed my computer froze, I had typed a wrong address into explorer, and I then got that pop up asking if I wanted to set Netster as my homepage (I clicked "no"). I was able to navigate to the page I wanted after that, so I don't know if that would have any impact on what happened.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem might be? And more importantly, what I can do to get my computer to boot?

Again, I get no messages at all when trying to load, error or otherwise.. just a blank screen.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:34 AM

Hi it seems as if a file as become corrupted, and the easiest way would be to do a complete reinstall of windows. unless anyone else has any idea's
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:45 AM

Can you boot up in safe mode? Pressing F8 when booting up

#4 greyspace

greyspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:50 AM

Hi it seems as if a file as become corrupted, and the easiest way would be to do a complete reinstall of windows. unless anyone else has any idea's

Does a reinstall of windows completely erase all my files?

#5 greyspace

greyspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:51 AM

Can you boot up in safe mode? Pressing F8 when booting up

I don't get any options when turning the computer on. I did try to just hit F8 repeatedly, but it didn't seem to do anything.

#6 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 10:02 AM

try and do a repair first, insert the cd xpwindows when it ask you do you want to do a full reinstall or a repair press r first. once it has finished try everything and see if what did not work works now. if it does then you are ok. if not then a full reinstall is the only option. you will keep some folders but it depends how bad they were corrupted. dont forget your anbtivirus when you have finished and spyware.
if you get stuck or it goes ok keep us informed.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#7 greyspace

greyspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:18 AM

try and do a repair first, insert the cd xpwindows when it ask you do you want to do a full reinstall or a repair press r first. once it has finished try everything and see if what did not work works now. if it does then you are ok. if not then a full reinstall is the only option. you will keep some folders but it depends how bad they were corrupted. dont forget your anbtivirus when you have finished and spyware.
if you get stuck or it goes ok keep us informed.

Thanks, I'll try it when I get a chance. Question though, will the Disc even run since nothing else seems to loading when I turn the computer on?

#8 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:24 AM

yes it will run. And that way you can copy everything you need then do a complete reformat. Windows installed on top of windows in not a good thing to have for a long period of time!

Edit, make sure your cd/dvd rom is set to boot. go into your bios(usually F! or esc, and set the drive to boot

Edited by gilmour, 07 July 2005 - 11:25 AM.

#9 greyspace

greyspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:33 AM

yes it will run. And that way you can copy everything you need then do a complete reformat. Windows installed on top of windows in not a good thing to have for a long period of time!

Edit, make sure your cd/dvd rom is set to boot. go into your bios(usually F! or esc, and set the drive to boot

Thanks again.. another question though.. and I'm sorry if this may sound stupid, but my computer knowledge is limited.. how can I change my settings to have it boot from the CD if when I turn the computer on, absolutely nothing happens aside from just getting the blank screen?

#10 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 11:41 AM

you have to get into your BIOS, as soon as you turn on the pc hit esc repeatedly if that doesnt work hit F1, one your in there there will be a tab for advanced or boot devices depedning on your BIOS, once in there scroll down to cd/dvd drive you will be putting the XP disc in and set priority to that drive and reboot. If you cant get into your Bios what your going to have to do is open up your case and reset the CMOS, therw will be a small round battery take it out for abour 30 seconds then put it back in and you will be able to get in then!

#11 greyspace

greyspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:10 PM

you have to get into your BIOS, as soon as you turn on the pc hit esc repeatedly if that doesnt work hit F1, one your in there there will be a tab for advanced or boot devices depedning on your BIOS, once in there scroll down to cd/dvd drive you will be putting the XP disc in and set priority to that  drive and reboot. If you cant get into your Bios what your going to have to do is open up your case and reset the CMOS, therw will be a small round battery take it out for abour 30 seconds then put it back in and you will be able to get in then!

Okay, I'm going to give it a try when I get home, thanks. Here's to hoping that it'll work and that my hard drive is okay. (I did a back up of all the important files three months ago.. and wouldn't you know it... in the few weeks, had a bunch of important files come in that I didn't and of course really need.)

#12 greyspace

greyspace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 02:25 PM

When I got home, I tried to turn my computer on again.. this time it began to load and opened with the options for, "Safe Mode, etc." it looked like it was going to load and then seemed to freeze up. I shut down, and when I tried to turn the computer on again, it would only load with the blank screen again. I tried repeatedly re-loading and hitting ESC as well as trying with F1 but it did not seem to do anything.

I pulled the hard drive out and tried it in a friend's computer (who has the same model of laptop) and it was able to load with all data intact.

So, should I assume that the problem is some kind of hardware issue? I'm trying to find my XP disc so I can try that.. but since the hard drive is working, I'm not sure if that's still necessary? Someone had mentioned resetting the CMOS.. but I don't know where to find it. Any additional information would be great. Thanks.

#13 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2005 - 03:04 PM

Oh forgot it was a laptop, the comos battery will be alot harder to get to. If you can open it all it is...is a small round battery pull it out for a bit and put it back in. Sounds like your motherboard is giving out though since your HD is working. It cant be heat since it happens as soon as you turn it on... Can you take the undcarriage off the laptop>?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users