Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP error message?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 suppafreq

suppafreq

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:07 AM

Hello,

I have recently been getting an error message when I log into windows. It says service not found - controlservice.
Does anyone have any ideas what this refers to & how to correct the problem?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gilmour

gilmour

• Banned
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:14 AM

go into your device manager and see if anything has a yellow exclanation by it or red x

#3 suppafreq

suppafreq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:56 PM

Hello Gilmour,

Thanks for your help.

I went to my device manager & there was one thing that had a yellow question mark beside it & when I expanded it there was also an exclamation point. The device that was highlighted was Other devices & the expanded device say SiS Port Driver.
I recently had some problems on my computer with Trojans & after cleaning everything up I ended up having to replace my mother board.
I have been getting this message for a couple of weeks (since I started cleaning the Trojans) & believed that it was linked to my previous motherboard.
Please give me your impression. I need some knowledgeable advice.

Thanks,
Suppafreq

#4 lilseno

lilseno

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 02:17 PM

You said you replaced your motherboard.
1. Was the motherboards identical?
2. Did you reinstall windows?
3. Did you check the drivers for the SiS Port?

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:35 PM

How did you "clean" the trojans?

Whatever you did has obviously disabled something in your registry.

How did you determine that the motherboard needed to be replaced?

Edited by Enthusiast, 12 July 2005 - 07:35 PM.

#6 suppafreq

suppafreq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:35 PM

Hey guys,

thanks for the replys.

Here's the story...
First, I removed the trojans with the help of member of this site. He directed me to use different programs such as Spyware Blaster, Clean up, Spy Bot, Ad Ware SE & hijack this (I still have the log files). He advised me to remove some objects. It was shortly after this that I started to get this error message & my computer kept telling me that it found new hardware & I needed to install it. The hardware was this SiS Port driver. I inserted the disk that came with my motherboard (because I believe that this SiS port is from my motherboard, It says SiS on the box) & would try to automatically install what was missing but it would always say that what it was looking for could not be found on that disk. I wasn't sure what else I should do.
A couple of days later I tried to turn on my computer but nothing happened. Nothing would load, not even windows. I took the computer to a friend of a friend who said that the problem lied with my motherboard & that I he would replace it for me. The new one is the same make & model as the old motherboard.
My system is running now but it is very slow & I am still getting the CONTROL SERVICE message.
I haven't re-installed windows. Should I? And how would I know if I was instructed to remove something that I shouldn't have removed?

#7 lilseno

lilseno

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 07:58 AM

What objects did you remove from your system?

I think the easiest fix now is just to reinstall windows. I wouldnt even deal with the headache of trying to find out what went wrong in the cleaning process. Just make sure you have all your drivers for your system.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2005 - 08:10 AM

Try this first:

"SiS is a computer motherboard chip-set manufacture.

It is possible that either the driver for the Ports was disabled or damaged, or that you connected to a previously unused USB or serial port.

Right click on your My Computer icon.

Select Properties.

Click on the Hardware or Device manager tab.
If it is the hardware tab, now click on Device Manager.

Look for Yellow "?" or "!".
Either means that you do have a device driver problem.

There is a tutorial on installing device drivers, and links to most manufactures web sites at www.driverguide.com

You can either download the latest driver from the computer manufactures web site, or get the driver from SiS.

To assure that you get the correct driver from SiS, you will need to identify the specific chip-set on your motherboard."

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-11192-0.h...threadID=172088

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users