Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not booting/ keeps restarting [Moved]

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LauraMarie

LauraMarie

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:09 PM

My younger brother downloaded a file on my second computer that I'm assuming had a virus because now I can't get to the log-on screen. I need to find a way to fix this and the only solution I've found is to reinstall windows xp. My computer will not boot properly. Yes, i have tried all the safe mode and other options listed after pressing F8 but all of them have failed. After I click on one of those options, my computer seems to continuously restart itself. I've tried using a boot cd that I got from microsoft's website but that was just another failed attempt. Is there anyway to fix this or download an xp free edition?

On one of the first threads I stumbled upon this site, http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html which has 2 free download links listed for windows xp but how do I know that is not a virus?
There is a code on my computer but I'm not sure if thats for windows xp.

Edited by LauraMarie, 05 July 2009 - 11:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 D_N_M

D_N_M

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:26 PM

Hello LauraMarie
maybe you should post in the am i infected forum and see what the experts on the site have to say.
here is a link to that forum http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Good luck the techs here are great but please be patient they are very busy but they will get to you and inform you with further instructions. :thumbsup:
when pressing f8 upon boot will get you to the boot menu please turn off restart on error option and reboot after reboot note down the error's it gives you as it will better help the experts here narrow down the problem

Edited by D_N_M, 05 July 2009 - 11:36 PM.

#3 LauraMarie

LauraMarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:30 PM

I am not sure if I have a virus or not though. I am just assuming that is the cause. I don't know much about computers.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,805 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 12:08 AM

Hello LauraMarie,

I'm going to shift this topic to the Am I Infected forum as one of it's purposes is to find out if you are infected. Once that is ruled out, then we can explore other possibilities.

My younger brother downloaded a file

Do you know what this file was?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 LauraMarie

LauraMarie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:22 AM

I thinking he mentioned trying to hack his psp or downloading wii games. I don't know for sure and I can't force it out of him because I don't live with him. Actually, there is a sticker on my computer and it has the product key for windows home edition. I know its probably not much help. I checked the fan and everything but its working properly. I even cleaned it out with Q-Tips. I downloaded the wrong boot cd. I downloaded the one for xp professional. I will try that again but is there anything else I can do?

#6 Zllio

Zllio

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 07:57 AM

Hi LauraMarie,

What you need is to be able to boot up and then try and get back to before your brother downloaded whatever it was he downloaded, by using a previous restore point. Then run a bunch of malware scans to see what malware turns up. The restore points won't remove the malware, but if the problem was due to a software conflict, this will usually resolve the problem.

There are boot disks. There's one called Bart's PE. To make this you need your XP installation disk, or you can use one which is at the same level as your computer. So if the installation on your computer was from an XP SP2 home cd, then you need that. If it was an XP SP1 home, you need that. See if you can borrow one if you don't have one. Then you need to download the PE software at http://majorgeeks.com/Barts_PE_Builder_d4007.html and see the instructions in the following tutorial:

http://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/Setup_Barts_PE.html

The TweakGuide you mentioned is okay, no worries about downloading it, but it has Everything! so I think it might be overkill.

See if you can get the comp to boot up.
Let me know how this goes?
Zllio

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users