Right-click on the Task Bar and open Task Manager
In the Applications window, end all running tasks
Start a new task and type explorer.exe
This should bring up the Desktop and you should be able to run some scans
Also try safe mode w/networking:
Reboot the computer and after the initial screen, start tapping the F8 key and make your selection
If you have access to a non-infected computer, you can burn these tools to a CD or download to a flash drive
Try Dr Web CureIt
Please download Dr.Web CureIt
, the free version & save it to your desktop. DO NOT perform a scan yet.
Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode
" using the F8
method. To do this, restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".Scan with Dr.Web CureIt
- Double-click on launch.exe to open the program and click Start. (There is no need to update if you just downloaded the most current version
- Read the Virus check by DrWeb scanner prompt and click Ok where asked to Start scan now? Allow the setup.exe to load if asked by any of your security programs.
- The Express scan will automatically begin.
(This is a short scan of files currently running in memory, boot sectors, and targeted folders).
- If prompted to dowload the Full version Free Trial, ignore and click the X to close the window.
- If an infected object is found, you will be prompted to move anything that cannot be cured. Click Yes to All.
- When complete, click Select All, then choose Cure > Move incurable.
(This will move any detected files to the C:\Documents and Settings\userprofile\DoctorWeb\Quarantine folder if they can't be cured)
- Now put a check next to Complete scan to scan all local disks and removable media.
- In the top menu, click Settings > Change settings, and UNcheck "Heuristic analysis" under the "Scanning" tab, then click Ok.
- Back at the main window, click the green arrow "Start Scanning" button on the right under the Dr.Web logo.
- When the scan is complete, a message will be displayed at the bottom indicating if any viruses were found.
- Click "Yes to all" if asked to cure or move the file(s) and select "Move incurable".
- In the top menu, click file and choose save report list.
- Save the DrWeb.csv report to your desktop.
- Exit Dr.Web Cureit when done.
- Important! Reboot your computer because it could be possible that files in use will be moved/deleted during reboot.
- After reboot, post the contents of the log from Dr.Web in your next reply. (You can use Notepad to open the DrWeb.cvs report)
Edited by garmanma, 12 July 2009 - 06:55 PM.