Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

question about fire fox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Nagy07

Nagy07

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:17 PM

ok, so the #1 reason i love fire fox is the ability to type in ebay google youtube or w.e. not www.google.com. and i noticed firefox released an update for an ask tool bar that sets it as the browsers default search engine. I have been hitting ignore on this for the past few months,but today someone hit install updates and this really pisses me off cause i havent figured a way around it, everything leeds you to the search tool bar and not the actual browser search engine. last time this happened i got so pissed i re installed windows cause it was the only way to get it back to normal. it is really aggravating and i could rant for ours cause it ticks me off that much. but if anyone knows how to fix it please let me know

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 05 July 2009 - 10:33 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:29 PM

Firefox never releases updates for any kind of toolbar.

You must have installed Ask Toolbar yourself , possibly when installing a 3rd party software that came packed with Ask Toolbar.

You can goto Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs Select Ask Toolbar and click Remove

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,024 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:10 AM

I don't have this problem with Firefox 3.5 (or the one right before that) or the Ask toolbar. I can just type google, youtube, ebay followed by Enter in the Address bar and go right to the expected page. If I had to type www and .com all the type I would not like it either and so many people don't know this "works" this way.

Another good timesaver is to enable the Bookmarks Toolbar which hangs out under the Address bar. I have one click links to 15 web pages I go to frequently so I don't have to type anything. I am just a click away from Google, Yahoo!, eBay, Weather, B.C., :thumbsup: , etc. so I hardly ever type anything directly into the Address bar. It is sort of like the XP Quick Launch area - one click and viola!

You can drag URLs from the Address bar to the Bookmarks Toolbar and then change the Properties of the Bookmark to make the name shorter so you can fit more on a single line - Bleeping Computer = BC and it keeps the icon for a reminder. This also works in Chrome and I don't use I.E. enough to care. You can drag, drop, delete, rename the stuff in the Bookmarks Toolbar so your frequent links/icons are arranged to suit you (L->R by order of use for me).

No more inefficient URL typing...

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#4 Nagy07

Nagy07
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:05 PM

Firefox never releases updates for any kind of toolbar.

You must have installed Ask Toolbar yourself , possibly when installing a 3rd party software that came packed with Ask Toolbar.

You can goto Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs Select Ask Toolbar and click Remove

i did that, and still nothing. i wish there was a way like i.e. to set google as default search engine, but i guess theres not
maybe a restore point will fix it

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,024 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:32 PM

I misunderstood I guess.

You can change the Firefox default search engine (and lots of other things).

I don't have a need for Ask, but see if this helps:

http://www.firefoxfacts.com/2008/01/13/cha...rch-in-firefox/

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users