Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web browsers

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2 replies to this topic

#1 SacKing

SacKing

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:14 PM

I am currently using IE 8 but lags alot of the time i have just installed fire fox browser but which one is better/faster and do i need any add-ons with firefox? and should i remove the one i am not using or is ok to keep both? also should i run a firewall or is my windows firewall fine? thanks all help is much appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:01 PM

"Which is better, IE, or Firefox", is a topic that has been discussed many times, here.
Here are some links, to other topics, discussing this question:
Browser wars: Pick your top browser
Internet Explorer 7.0 Or Mozilla Firefox
Ie7 Vs Firefox
What Is Better Ie7 Or Firefox?

You can have as many browsers installed, as you want, so try as many as you like.
There are some listed in our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic.
They are listed in the second post, under Web Browsers.

You shouldn't try to uninstall IE.
It's so entwined with the Windows operating system, that you'll probably end up damaging Windows.

As far as Firefox addons are concerned, the need for them is up to you.
That's one of the good things about Ff, is how it can be customized to suit your needs. just add the extensions that you want.
Also, don't forget about the Plugins

Windows firewall is inadequate.
It only monitors inbound traffic.
A third-party firewall will monitor outbound, as well as inbound traffic.
There are some good free firewalls listed in our Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps topic.
They are listed in the first post, under Firewalls.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:13 PM

Hello SacKing,

Whew! That's a lot of questions in a small amount of space. I cannot answer all of them, but let me get a few.

No matter what browser you decide to use, you must keep Internet Explorer installed. It is very much tied up with the OS and you must use IE in order to do system updates.

As for add-ons with Firefox, I find that the fewer the better. Use what you must. I use NoScript because it blocks Javascript, flash, and other things by default. That helps avoid getting a lot of infections. There are other browsers available too that you may wish to try out.

As for which is faster, that really depends on your situation. The only way to find out is to try them.

I am currently using IE 8 but lags alot of the time

It is possible that this is related to the infection you have posted about here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/238872/hijackthis-log-and-rootrepeal-report-scan/ Once you have been declared clean of the infection and you are still experiencing lagging with IE8, I would suggest starting a fresh topic and ask only about that in the topic to avoid confusion.

also should i run a firewall or is my windows firewall fine?

A third party firewall is better because you can control outgoing traffic not just incoming. The windows firewall only blocks incoming. Once you have decided on a firewall and if you have questions about running it, I would suggest starting a new topic in this forum: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/25/antivirus-firewall-and-privacy-products-and-protection-methods/ and ask only about the firewall, again to avoid confusion. Please note that a firewall that works great on one person's computer may not work well on another. It may take some experimentation before you find one that works well in your situation.

Having said that, please hold off on installing one until your HiJack This topic is resolved as you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond. Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users