Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help with possible virus situation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mandibenoit

mandibenoit

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:38 AM

Hello all...I am new to the forum as I am seeking help for a problem with my 'puter.

I am on my work computer, but the problem is at home. I have an HP and operate with Windows XP. I accidentally clicked on something the other day (don't know what it was) and have had problems ever since. I use a program called Ad Aware as a virus scan, and there is something else that a friend of a friend installed for me (he's some kind of computer genius) and I've had no problems with junk email, pop ups and viruses. Well, until now.

When I'm on my computer, I keep getting pop ups. The top of the bar on the pop up says something about Aurora. Also, I keep getting messages from my anti-virus saying that I'm trying to access www.freewebs.com or something like that when I'm not. When I run my virus scan, I always have many MANY files that need to be deleted, and they always say something about HKEY. When I go to my temp files or my cookie files (I can't remember which is which) they have a lot of files that say owner@bravenet.com, or owner@something.com (it doesn't really say something it's just a lot of different things).

Does this sound familiar to anyone? From the bit of research I've done on the net, I've found that it may be adware? Or some kind of backdoor something or another...but I'm not computer smart enough to figure out any more :thumbsup:

Please help :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 thedon57

thedon57

• Members
  • 286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:44 AM

hi download and run a free antivirus, like avast or avg, both very good and if you like them and they do the job, you have to reg which is free to key the key for to get your updates. also download and install microsoft antispy ware beta ,this is also free and very good, because i find myself when i had ad aware installed i was getting trouble.

Hope this helps.
Now installed Microsoft Security Essencials on my Tower with Windows Home Premium 32bit and Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop with Windows Home Premium 64bit

#3 mandibenoit

mandibenoit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:53 AM

I so very much appreciate the advice, but it doesn't help :thumbsup: I already have an antivirus program. I run it, delete the infected files, and then run it 2 minutes later and already have more infected files. Something is in there that's letting things in....I just don't know what it is and how to find it...let alone get rid of it :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users