Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

help and support wont open in windows xp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 simmst

simmst

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:47 PM

after I used advanced care registry cleaner on my windows xp I could no longer open help and support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:41 PM

What message is shown when you try to access "Help and Support"?

If the message shown is : "Windows cannot start Helo and Support because a service named "Help and Support" is not running"
then you need to enable/start this service. To do so :
Open Start Menu -> Run and type services.msc and pres Enter
In the Window opened, look for a service named Help and Support, right-click on it and select Start

BTW Registry Cleaners are not advised on BleepingComputer. Read this post : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...p;#entry1004272

However, most registry cleaner softwares make registry backups before they make changes to Windows registry. So you can look for undoing the changes made by your registry cleaner software, if possible.

#3 simmst

simmst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:12 AM

HELP AND SUPPORT WAS ALREADY STARTED I CLICKED RESTART AND STILL NO HELP AND SUPPORT

#4 techextreme

techextreme

Bleepin Tech

• BC Advisor
  • 2,125 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 11:45 AM

When you try to open "Microsoft Help and Support" what error messages are you presented with?

The Advanced Care Registry Cleaner that you ran, did it make an "undo" or "backup" before making changes?

Techextreme

"Admire those who attempt great things, even though they fail."

-- Seneca

#5 simmst

simmst
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:59 PM

when i click on help and support I get nothing.
I tried to go into registry editor HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\HELPCTR.EXE
right clicked this key to create"HELPCTR.EXE" but an error comes up that says "cannot create key
error writing to the registry" I believe theres something wrong with my registry . although I will try to undo registry cleaner.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 AM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 09:16 PM

If help and support worked before you ran the registry cleaner, I would try using Windows System Restore to restore the computer back the day before you ran the registry cleaner.

Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>System Restore

Click on restore my computer to a previous date, then select the date and then click on next.

#7 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 AM

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:46 PM

I don't want to worry you but I spent a month or more emailing back and forth with M/S Support trying to fix the same problem. Only with there directions would I change the registry. We never did figure out the problem. I just restored back two months and then updated every thing. I did not use a cleaner. It just happened. Please if you ever figure out the answer get back to B/C. M/S Support was very good at trying to help. Thank you Mr. QU. To this day I still don't know what happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users