Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Used Computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 shiningcowgirl

shiningcowgirl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:59 PM

I just got a new used computer and it is blank. Where do I start?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,528 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:52 PM

You will need to purchase and install an Operating system,such as windows.
If you can post some specs someone may have further ideas for you..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:41 AM

Yes you need a operating system.

But you do not always have to pay for expensive software like Windows. There is free linux you can download for free or can order free shipping of free CD.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

If you a large hard disk, you may want to partition it into two or more partitions before you install operating system. The partitioning tools come with operating system setup CD whether Windows or Linux.

How to install Ubuntu linux : http://content.zdnet.com/2346-12554_22-171001.html
How to install Windows XP : http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-...11-1040583.html

#4 shiningcowgirl

shiningcowgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:38 PM

Thank you so much. I got an operating system and when I put it in nothing happens. Am I in over my head??? Thanks!

#5 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 08:37 PM

What operating system did you get?

In order to install the operating system you have to set the boot order in the bios to boot from the cd drive first, save the changes and then with the cd in the cd drive, reboot the computer. Then watch the screen for it to tell you to hit any key to boot from cd, at that time, hit any key. Since there isn't an operating system installed on the hard drive, it might just boot from the cd without you having to hit a key. At that point it should then give you options to format and install the operating system.

I would do a quick format of the disk before installng the operating system

#6 shiningcowgirl

shiningcowgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

Windows xp home

I do not know how to do that. All I see on the screen is a picture od the beach.

#7 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 08:32 PM

If you do not have an operating system on the disk I do not know how you are seeing a pic of the beach, but in any case, to change the boot order in bios so that you can put a new operating system on the disk watch the bottom of the screen when the computer starts for it to say something like, "press del to enter setup". Instead of del it might say, F2 or some other key. Push that key and go into the bios, look for something that says something like "boot order". Once there you can use the arrow keys on your keyboard to change the boot order, it should be set to boot first from CD Drive, then C drive. The CD Drive might be referred as "Optical Drive". Save the changes and then let it restart the computer, make sure the XP disk is in the drive.

Post number two at the following link gives really good and easy step by step instructions on reinstalling Windows

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231511/reinstalling-windows/

Post back and let us know how it goes and if you have any problems along the way, post back with those too.

Good luck.

#8 shiningcowgirl

shiningcowgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:05 AM

OK. When I turn on the computer the picture of the beach pops up and nothing else.

#9 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 12:17 AM

It doesn't first show a black screen with info about the computer on it?

If that is the case, I am at a loss as to why that might be or what to do so hopefully someone else will come along to help soon.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 08:43 AM

System manufacturer and model?

What does the CD on which your operating system exists...indicate in writing?

Does this system POST?

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/P/power_on_self_test.html

Is there supposed to be an operating system already installed on this system?

Did you get any documentation (CDs, manual) when you acquired it?

Louis

#11 shiningcowgirl

shiningcowgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 09:15 AM

It is a Compaq Presario SR1315CL.

The CD says operating system reinstallation CD. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Including Service Pack 1. This CD is for a Dell computer.

The system does not POST. All I see is a picture of the beach (as seen on a desktop) when I turn on the computer with or without the operating system disk.

I don't have any documentation for the computer and I do not know if it alreay had an operating system installed on it.

Thank you so much for your time!

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• Members
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 10:04 AM

1. Turn on your monitor for 10 seconds before you power on your PC. Sometimes CRT monitor take time to warm up and display information. By the time monitor is warmed up, POST information is gone. Also POST information is not displayed on Compaq if you have disabled Boot-time Diagnostic Screen in BIOS.

2. After you power on CPU, you would see hard disk LED blink. After you see the light , start to press and release continuously F1 or F10 or DEL to go into BIOS mode. Just hit and try.

3. When you enter the BIOS smile and clap, and look for a section BIOS, then go to option called Boot-time Diagnostic Screen. Enable this.

4. Look for Boot Preferences and Change the First Boot Device to CD ROM, Second Boot Device to HDD

5. Save changes in BIOS by choosing Save and Exit etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users