Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Had System Security virus..

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Kenneth Coker

Kenneth Coker

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:29 PM

On Tuesday morning, I contracted the System Security virus. It paralyzed one of our computers. Luckily, we have two so I was able to get some instruction as to how to take out the virus. However, since it hit the computer, every time I search on the internet, I am directed to a bogus website after I click on one of the search results.

I have tried the ComboFix, AVG, AdAwareSE and Malware Bytes, but none have fixed the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:31 PM

Please print out and follow these instructions: "How to use SDFix". This program is for Windows 2000/XP ONLY.
When using this tool, you must use the Administrator's account or an account with "Administrative rights"
  • Disconnect from the Internet and temporarily disable your anti-virus, script blocking and any real time protection programs before performing a scan.
  • When done, the SDFix report log will open in notepad and automatically be saved in the SDFix folder as Report.txt.
  • If SDFix is unable to run after rebooting from Safe Mode, run SDFix in either Mode, and type F, then press Enter for it to finish the final stage and produce the report.
  • Please copy and paste the contents of Report.txt in your next reply.
  • Be sure to renable you anti-virus and and other security programs before connecting to the Internet.
-- If the computer has been infected with the VirusAlert! malware warning from the clock and the Start Menu icons or drives are not visible, open the SDFix folder, right-click on either the XP_VirusAlert_Repair.inf or W2K VirusAlert_Repair.inf (depending on your version of Windows) and select Install from the Context menu. Then reboot to apply the changes.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Kenneth Coker

Kenneth Coker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:46 PM

Here's the report..

After I ran the SDFix, the System Security Virus retook my computer, so I'm having to run in safe mode. Help please..

SDFix: Version 1.240
Run by Gale on Mon 07/06/2009 at 02:59 PM

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
Running From: C:\SDFix

Checking Services :

Restoring Default Security Values
Restoring Default Hosts File

Rebooting

Checking Files :

Trojan Files Found:

C:\DOCUME~1\Gale\LOCALS~1\Temp\TMP78.tmp - Deleted

Removing Temp Files

ADS Check :

Final Check :

catchme 0.3.1361.2 W2K/XP/Vista - rootkit/stealth malware detector by Gmer, http://www.gmer.net
Rootkit scan 2009-07-06 15:22:08
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 NTFS

scanning hidden processes ...

scanning hidden services & system hive ...

disk error: C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\system, 1381
scanning hidden registry entries ...

disk error: C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\software, 1381
disk error: C:\Documents and Settings\Gale\ntuser.dat, 1381
scanning hidden files ...

disk error: C:\WINDOWS\

please note that you need administrator rights to perform deep scan

Remaining Services :

Authorized Application Key Export:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\standardprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YPager.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YPager.exe:*:Enabled:Yahoo! Messenger"
"C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YServer.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YServer.exe:*:Enabled:Yahoo! FT Server"
"C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Messenger\\msmsgs.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Messenger"
"C:\\Program Files\\Kazaa\\kazaa.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Kazaa\\kazaa.exe:*:Enabled:Kazaa"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Internet Explorer\\iexplore.exe:*:Disabled:Internet Explorer"
"C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YahooMessenger.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Yahoo!\\Messenger\\YahooMessenger.exe:*:Disabled:Yahoo! Messenger"
"C:\\Program Files\\Sony Pictures Games\\JEOPARDY!\\JEOPARDY!.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Sony Pictures Games\\JEOPARDY!\\JEOPARDY!.exe:*:Enabled:JEOPARDY!"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\dplaysvr.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\dplaysvr.exe:*:Enabled:Microsoft DirectPlay Helper"
"C:\\Program Files\\Infogrames Interactive\\Scrabble Complete\\ScrabbleComplete.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Infogrames Interactive\\Scrabble Complete\\ScrabbleComplete.exe:*:Enabled:Scrabble Complete"
"C:\\Program Files\\Real\\RealPlayer\\realplay.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Real\\RealPlayer\\realplay.exe:*:Enabled:RealPlayer"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Live Messenger 8.1"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\livecall.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\livecall.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Live Messenger 8.1 (Phone)"
"C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.6.0_01\\bin\\javaw.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jre1.6.0_01\\bin\\javaw.exe:*:Enabled:Java™ Platform SE binary"
"C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\drivers\\svchost.exe"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\drivers\\svchost.exe:*:Disabled:svchost"
"C:\\Program Files\\AVG\\AVG8\\avgemc.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\AVG\\AVG8\\avgemc.exe:*:Enabled:avgemc.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\AVG\\AVG8\\avgupd.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\AVG\\AVG8\\avgupd.exe:*:Enabled:avgupd.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\AVG\\AVG8\\avgnsx.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\AVG\\AVG8\\avgnsx.exe:*:Enabled:avgnsx.exe"
"C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Firefox\\firefox.exe:*:Disabled:Firefox"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\system\currentcontrolset\services\sharedaccess\parameters\firewallpolicy\domainprofile\authorizedapplications\list]
"%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe"="%windir%\\system32\\sessmgr.exe:*:enabled:@xpsp2res.dll,-22019"
"%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe"="%windir%\\Network Diagnostic\\xpnetdiag.exe:*:Enabled:@xpsp3res.dll,-20000"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\msnmsgr.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Live Messenger 8.1"
"C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\livecall.exe"="C:\\Program Files\\MSN Messenger\\livecall.exe:*:Enabled:Windows Live Messenger 8.1 (Phone)"

Remaining Files :

File Backups: - C:\SDFix\backups\backups.zip

Files with Hidden Attributes :

Sun 29 Jun 2008 56 ..SHR --- "C:\WINDOWS\system32\155FD02BA8.sys"
Sat 4 Jul 2009 4,184 A.SH. --- "C:\WINDOWS\system32\KGyGaAvL.sys"
Mon 6 Jul 2009 865 A.SH. --- "C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmf.sys"
Mon 21 Feb 2005 4,348 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\DRMv1.bak"
Thu 24 Jul 2008 25,088 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Gale\My Documents\~WRL0131.tmp"
Sun 31 May 2009 25,600 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Gale\My Documents\~WRL0512.tmp"
Sun 31 May 2009 24,064 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Gale\My Documents\~WRL1541.tmp"
Thu 24 Jul 2008 24,576 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Gale\My Documents\~WRL1807.tmp"
Thu 24 Jul 2008 24,576 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Gale\My Documents\~WRL2249.tmp"
Sun 31 May 2009 25,088 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Gale\My Documents\~WRL3015.tmp"
Thu 24 Jul 2008 24,576 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Gale\My Documents\~WRL3243.tmp"
Wed 11 Apr 2007 0 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\DRM\Cache\Indiv02.tmp"
Mon 21 Feb 2005 4,348 ...H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Gale\My Documents\My Music\License Backup\drmv1key.bak"
Wed 29 Nov 2006 20 A..H. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Gale\My Documents\My Music\License Backup\drmv1lic.bak"
Mon 21 Feb 2005 400 A.SH. --- "C:\Documents and Settings\Gale\My Documents\My Music\License Backup\drmv2key.bak"

Finished!a

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

Please download RootRepeal Rootkit Detector and save it to your Desktop.

* Close all programs and temporarily disable your anti-virus, Firewall and any anti-malware real-time protection before performing a scan.
* Click this link to see a list of such programs and how to disable them.
* Create a new folder on your hard drive called RootRepeal (C:\RootRepeal) and extract (unzip) RootRepeal.zip. (click here if you're not sure how to do this. Vista users refer to this link.)
* Open the folder and double-click on RootRepeal.exe to launch it. If using Vista, right-click and Run as Administrator...
* Click on the Files tab, then click the Scan button.
* In the Select Drives, dialog Please select drives to scan: select all drives showing, then click OK.
* When the scan has completed, a list of files will be generated in the RootRepeal window.
* Click on the Save Report button and save it as rootrepeal.txt to your desktop or the same location where you ran the tool from.
* Open rootrepeal.txt in Notepad and copy/paste its contents in your next reply.
* Exit RootRepeal and be sure to re-enable your anti-virus, Firewall and any other security programs you had disabled.

Note: If RootRepeal cannot complete a scan and results in a crash report, try repeating the scan in "Safe Mode".
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 Kenneth Coker

Kenneth Coker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:12 PM

Here's the results....

ROOTREPEAL © AD, 2007-2009
==================================================
Scan Time: 2009/07/06 17:11
Program Version: Version 1.3.0.0
Windows Version: Windows XP SP3
==================================================

Hidden/Locked Files
-------------------
Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hjgruibbibqumo.dat

Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hjgruiirqohuap.dll

Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hjgruilog.dat

Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hjgruisbqhoptt.dat

Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\hjgruiwwuyfulv.dll

Path: C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hjgruitqsppgdesv.tmp

Path: C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hjgruixcutrqqscd.tmp

Path: C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hjgruixrnsetqstv.tmp

Path: C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hjgruiecwxvrtfnl.tmp

Path: C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hjgruikbxdcduymn.tmp

Path: C:\WINDOWS\Temp\hjgruiopeqwbdrec.tmp

Path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hjgruiwbppxlvv.sys

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:30 PM

Rerun Rootrepeal. After the scan completes, go to the files tab and find this file:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\hjgruiwbppxlvv.sys

Then use your mouse to highlight it in the Rootrepeal window.
Next right mouse click on it and select *wipe file* option only.
Then immediately reboot the computer.

Then run another quick scan with Malwarebytes and post the log.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Kenneth Coker

Kenneth Coker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:21 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.38
Database version: 2297
Windows 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3

7/7/2009 1:17:41 PM
mbam-log-2009-07-07 (13-17-41).txt

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 83941
Time elapsed: 15 minute(s), 52 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

If you’re clean, you should create a new Restore Point to prevent possible re-infection from an old one.

Go Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click System Restore. Choose the radio button marked Create a Restore Point on the first screen then click Next. Give the Restore Point a name and then click Create. Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point. Go Start > Run and type: "Cleanmgr" (without the quotes). Click Ok > More Options tab > Clean Up in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Also, go Start > Control Panel and double-click Add or Remove Programs. Post back and report any Java entries that you have.

—George Bernard Shaw

#9 Kenneth Coker

Kenneth Coker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 06:40 PM

Thanks so much. You guys and girls are a God-send.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users