Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant uninstall IE8

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
18 replies to this topic

#1 rickboo

rickboo

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

Hey all, i am having a hard time uninstalling IE8. I had to uninstall it once before and i had no troubles at all. Now IE8 has been unresponsive and very slow so i decided to uninstall it and go back to IE7. during the uninstallation i got a message saying, copy error: setup cannot copy the file hmmapi.dll.mui

ensure that the location specified below is correct or change it and insert windows nt service pack uninstall directory in the drive you specify.

this happened with the windows add/remove program. i tried the revo uninstaller and it removed IE8out of the add/remove but it is still in the computer and still my browser. now i dont know what to do. should i try to reinstall IE8 and see what happens? i will wait for advice before i do anything else. thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:10 PM

Are you using XP,Vista or Server 2003?

Edited by boopme, 05 July 2009 - 07:11 PM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 rickboo

rickboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:37 PM

hi boopme, i am using windows xp

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 08:19 PM

Hi have you tried these steps.. Steps for Windows XP or for Windows Server 2003 ?
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 rickboo

rickboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 01:01 PM

Hi boopme, yes i tried those steps and also the alternate steps and i still get the same copy error i stated in my first post. IE8is still not showing up in add/remove but its still there. please help me to remove it.

#6 sdcanyon

sdcanyon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:58 PM

Did you remove Service Pack 3? I had to remove both for it to uninstall. For example, IE7 is embedded into Service Pack 2 I believe.

#7 rickboo

rickboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:04 PM

i was under the impression that you only had to remove service pack 3 if you installed IE8 before service pack 3

#8 sdcanyon

sdcanyon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:16 PM

Ya got me...As soon as my cpu starts bugging out I remove everything. I went back to IE6 then built it back to IE8. I might just go back to IE6 and stay put.

#9 rickboo

rickboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:19 PM

did you have any problems uninstalling service pack 3? do you lose anything when you do, like music or pics or stuff like that. Do you know if i remove service pack 3 will it take out IE8

#10 sdcanyon

sdcanyon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

I had to remove them both, SP3 IE8, individually. I didnt notice losing anything either.

#11 rickboo

rickboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 10:24 PM

OK, well i guess it wont help me then if i have to remove IE separately because thats the problem i'm having now, not being able to remove IE8. There has to be a way but i am pretty much computerate illiterate so i have no clue what to do to get it out of my system

Edited by rickboo, 06 July 2009 - 10:24 PM.

#12 rickboo

rickboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

I am wondering if i should do a hjt log in case my computer is infected. If so, should i put it in this forum?

#13 rickboo

rickboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 10:57 AM

I noticed awhile ago that the service pack 3 is in my add/remove programs but now the remove button is not there any longer and it used to be. i can only assume that it has something to do with IE8 being so messed up. if i had the restore to factory settings option in my dell i would use it but i lost that option awhile back when i had to have xp reinstalled by a tech and i have no idea how to reinstall xp on my own. i have read about doing a reinstall but i have never even attempted it. i can rally use some help with this problem. i just want to get IE8 and service pack 3 out . please help me someone

#14 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 11:49 AM

Better safe than sorry...

To run HJT/DDS.
Please follow this guide. Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis. Then go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.

#15 rickboo

rickboo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2009 - 01:47 PM

Hi boopme, do want me to install the DDS tool and follow the instructions there first or just do the HJT log? please bear with me i know very little about computers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users