Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE crashes instantly, Firefox Google results are slow

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sdcanyon

sdcanyon

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:21 PM

While I was at work, my in-laws decided that my home computer was not protected. So, they installed AVG and some other program called IA(not sure name) without my permission.

My wife was using computer and she started receiving messages saying that other sites werent protected and she was having problems accessing other sites. She told me what happened, and I told them to remove that crap that my in-laws put on there. Somehow, IE7 started crashing with an error message stating that it was being shutdown to protect my computer. I tried updating to Service Pack 3 and IE8 to no avail.

To fix the situation temporarily, I transferred Firefox onto the system. It seems to work fine, yet when I type in a query in google, it takes about 15-25 seconds for a response.

I believe it may be related to the Date Execution Prevention service.

Also, i downloaded a program to check if any odd firewalls were up that would slow google down. AVG had two up and I removed them.

System Restore did not fix the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

Have you tried uninstalling AVG?

Goto Start Menu > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs, select AVG and click Remove.

You can do same with other software your in-laws installed.

AVG's LinkScanner can make browser slow (specially if you have a slow connection) because it scans for each link in a page to see if they are safe to visit.

Do not run many security apps (antispyware/antivirus etc) at the same time, it would only slow your system down.

You can find an alternative free antivirus / firewall here : http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Edited by Romeo29, 05 July 2009 - 11:53 PM.

#3 sdcanyon

sdcanyon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:31 PM

I did remove AVG and all other suspect programs that they installed.

As far as antivirus goes, I dont use any antivirus software. I have never had a virus since I started using computers, which was a 386 SX 33mhz. I think I need an anti-inlaw program.

#4 sdcanyon

sdcanyon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2009 - 01:05 AM

Oddly enough, the only site on the web that I cannot connect to is www.bleepingcomputer.com from my messed up home computer. Maybe some bug knows and is afraid!!!

Also, i saw that i have that AVG scanner in my addons. It is disabled and I did a search for the file on my cpu and it is nowhere to be found. I am pretty sure I deleted everything AVG related with a search of *avg*.* on my system. Could it somehow still be affecting my system?

Edited by sdcanyon, 08 July 2009 - 01:08 AM.

#5 http.pipelining

http.pipelining

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:01 AM

Posted 08 July 2009 - 11:39 AM

Try download and run the avg removal tool http://www.avg.com/download-tools
Make sure you download the right version.There is 32bit and 64 bit version of the removal tool.
Posted Image

#6 sdcanyon

sdcanyon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

*UPDATE*

Well, system is working fine now.

I fixed it by downloading AVG 8.5 and then going in to the options and disabling the features that scan your search engine results. Also, IE7 is stable and I will NOT upgrade to IE8.

The AVG uninstall that caused all my problems must have left some resident system config that kept scanning my search results. Odd!

Edited by sdcanyon, 09 July 2009 - 01:55 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users