Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need Assistance or Gun

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 masterblaster201

masterblaster201

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:00 PM

Good Evening,
First let me say I have moderate experience working with computers and restoring them, I have come across this problem with my wife's laptop. Averatec 6240, AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1.6 Ghz, 1.5 Gig RAM, I suspected she was virused, I have Trend Micro Internet Security loaded. I have run the virus removal tool in Safe Mode, half way through it completely shuts down, I have tried this procedure 3 times same result. I ensured that the power settings were set to allow plenty of time for this procedure to run before typical shut down.
I decided to reformat with a new version of Windows XP Home with SP 3, half way through installation it shuts down again, I've tried this 3 times as well. I can leave the laptop on for normal operation and it does not shut down.
I'm considering replacing the hard drive and install Windows XP on it. Any ideas what might be causing the issue? I can't get a scan log to submit because it never finishes.

This is a first one on me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:11 PM

It might be overheating. Try blowing out all the vents with compressed air.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 masterblaster201

masterblaster201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:53 PM

I noticed it seems to get really hot during both of those applications but not during normal operations. Why?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 06:57 PM

It could be that these operations require more processor/hard drive use.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 masterblaster201

masterblaster201
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:08 PM

I'll blow it out and see what happens. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users