Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Outlook with Hotmail/Gmail

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zack

Zack

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 AM

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:49 AM

Hi, I need to send emails with MS Outlook Today (2002). I've tried linking it to Hotmail and to Gmail. It won't log into Hotmail when I press 'Send' from Outlook. With Gmail I get: Sending/Receiving Receiving reported error 0x8004210B. Timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server.
I followed the instructions from Gmail when setting up this email account.
Please help. I need this desparately for work!
Thanks,
Zack

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jimmy23

jimmy23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 01:58 PM

I have the same problem. I searched Microsoft's support site and it said to download and install Office XP service pack 3. I am doing that now--you might want to try it.

-jimmy23

#3 jimmy23

jimmy23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2005 - 02:08 PM

Okay, it worked. So, summary:

If you are trying to use Outlook 2002 (Office XP) with a gmail account and you get the following error:

Sending/Receiving Receiving reported error 0x8004210B. Timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server.

Go to officeupdate.microsoft.com and update your version of Office XP (Outlook 2002) to Service Pack 3. This should fix the problem. You might have to restart your computer.

-Jimmy23

#4 jimmy23

jimmy23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2005 - 11:31 AM

...well, it still has intermittent problems. Here is a list of things that I've tried (and some have helped some).

1. Install Office XP Service Pack 3. (officeupdate.microsoft.com)

2. Turn off antivirus outgoing mail scanner

3. Try changing the outgoing port to 587 (I changed it back to 465 though). Incoming should be 995.

4. Clear SSL State: go to Internet Explorer --> Tools --> Internet Options --> Content --> Clear SSL State

5. Run the Test Account Settings (in your mail settings) a couple times--weird, but sometimes that helps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users