Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem accessing MSWord doc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Daddys_Jewel

Daddys_Jewel

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:41 PM

Today I tried to access a couple of documents that I created in Microsoft Word. I get into these documents regularly and have never had a problem, but now when I try to open them, I'm getting the following message: "Word cannot open the document: user does not have access privileges"

I'm the only user on this computer, it is not networked, and I haven't knowingly changed any settings. I did have major virus problems these past few days. I'm almost through with dealing with those. I mention this in case it makes a difference.

When I clicked on the help button, I got the following information:

This message can appear if a file has been saved with permissions. Permissions, also known as rights or privileges, can be applied to a file, folder, or almost any resource available from a network (printers, shares, files, databases, Web sites, etc). When a user attempts to open a resource that requires specific user permissions, this message will appear if the user does not have the required permissions.

Permissions can be set for individual users, groups of users, or for a specific computer. Usually, this message appears if you are using a network to which administrators have applied permissions for specific users and groups, or if you are accessing a resource local to a specific user's computer, but are blocked because of local permissions that have been set by that user. If you cannot open a resource on a file server or other computer on your network, you will most likely need to review your user account settings to determine whether you have the necessary permissions to gain access to the resource. If you do not know whether you have the necessary permissions, contact your network administrator or the owner of the computer with the shared resources.

Usually, this message does not appear if you are using disk drives formatted with a FAT or FAT32 file system. Drives formatted with NTFS, HPFS, or another file format that provides the ability to apply permissions, are capable of forcing this message.

Occasionally, the computer that grants users access to a network can lose the information that is used to authenticate a specific user. When this happens, the only option available is to turn your computer off for thirty seconds, and then restart your computer (you must turn off the computer to clear the cached information in the network card). Restarting may reset the authentication information that is used to grant you access to the network. If this does not work, you must contact the network administrator to have your account reset. It is also possible that the network administrator has disabled your account.

There is also the possibility that the file you are attempting to open is restricted through Information Rights Management (IRM). IRM is an alternate form of file restriction access that allows creators of a file the ability to limit editing, copying, printing, or forwarding of content. If the file is restricted and you require access to its contents, you must contact the creator or owner of the file to request that they add your user ID to the list of users who are allowed to access the file.

Can somebody tell me where I go to change "permissions" or advise me on what I should do. I REALLY need access to these two files. Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daddys_Jewel

Daddys_Jewel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 04:23 PM

I wanted to update my post.

It's not just the two Word docs I can't open, it's everything in this particular folder, include a pdf file. When I tried opening it, it said "There was a problem opening this document. Access denied."

All other documents that I've checked in other folders are fine.

Any suggestions? Thank!

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 05 July 2009 - 09:45 PM

Take ownership of a file or folder
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421 for XP
http://www.nirmaltv.com/2008/07/11/how-to-...lders-in-vista/ For Vista
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 Daddys_Jewel

Daddys_Jewel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2009 - 10:18 PM

Thank you for the links. I'm sorry I forgot to mention that I use XP Pro.

I did everything suggested at the site and access is still denied. I will go to some of the support links they provided to see what else I can find. Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users